1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

got a question......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chillin2058, Dec 9, 2004.

1. chillin2058

chillin2058 Junior Member

I have a meyer ST 7.5 . I'm trying to take it apart to send to the sandblaster. Is there anyway to take it off it's hinges? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

I assume you are talking about the pivot pins inside the sector and the tubes on the moldboard. If the plow is old and rusty, chances are so are those pins. One side is going to be frozen(rusted) in there. When you take the springs off, look closely at the area where it pivots. Pivot the sector/a-frame assembly and see if you can tell which end id frozen in. The way I did it was, I got a sawzall with a metal blade and cut the pivot pins and remove the sector. If the half of the pin in the sector comes out and the other half in the plow is frozen, I used that other half of the pin and a big sledge hammer. If the frozen half is in the sector, then use a long alignment rod or something that is very durable and beat the snot out of it until it comes out. Its a PITA to do but once its done, then its easier to maintain. Or, hopefully you'll get lucky and the pins will just slide out. Good Luck! :drinkup:
  3. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

also helps to heat the tubes that the pins are in till they are red hot and sometimes they almost fall out on there own- i had a whole blade come off a friends truck when i was i kid=and had to do exactly what you are about to tackle...good luck
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

The only problem with the heat trick is that it can sweat the "oils" or of metal and carbonize it a bit and make it more prone to future rusting and harder to hold paint too so use heat as a last resort and when you do get it off lube the pins when you put it back together. I lube my pins even year before start of season
  5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Do like what was said above with the sawzall and cut the pins. Then beat the halves out with a sledge. Then and this is important. When you install the new pins make sure you drill and tap holes for zerks(2 zerks on each pin) in each side of the tubes. You will never again have the problem of the pins rusting or getting froze up in there. I did this on my st7.5. If you every have to take it apart again the pins will come right out.
  6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Zerk fitting is a good Idea.