1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

got a problem with my plow :(

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 90chevyplow, Jan 25, 2005.

1. 90chevyplow

90chevyplow Junior Member

hey guys, This is my first post here. Basically I was plowing. Everything was perfectly fine until the plow got stuck and it will only go up and down and turn towards the left. Not to the right under its own power. I checked all the Hydrolic lines, there is nothings wrong (except that it feels like there isnt pressure on the top disconnect) There is nothing wrong with the wiring. Now I did have low oil in the main pump. But I checked it and filled it completely. Still wont turn to the right. Now If I hold the switch to the right and someone pulls the plow, they can pull it to the right. Is it possible to have air somewhere? or maybe a broken soloniod? Sorry I dont have much info about the make/model plow. just hoping I can get some ideas.
    thanks guys
  2. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

If you were low on Oil, you could have an air problem, keep working it manually and see if it will go on it's own, if not it could be a solinoid.
    what kind of plow is it?
  3. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

Check to make sure lift chain didn't get flipped over in between the arm and the frame.
  4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Maybe you have a bad quick connect? Do you have a spare to swap it out and see?
  5. Rappa

Rappa Member

Can you hear the pump working or is it just silent when you angle it?
  6. wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter Member

I'd bet 10 to 1 it's the female coupler(quick connect fitting).
    2nd would be if you don't hear the motor working when trying to angle it you have a bad contact in the joy stick. Just bend it back in place being careful that you leave a gap big enough to have some play in the joy stick so it does not move on ya when the joy stick is towards the center.
  7. 90chevyplow

yes I can hear the pump working. I can also see the lights dim, like normal. I am pretty sure the quick connect is fine. What do you mean by arm can be flipped? If I have air in the system, can I just bleed it out like a normal brake system? Sorry im not a real plow guy, just did it for my girlfriends dad while he was away on vacation and dont wanna break anything.. thanks for all the info guys
  8. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Ill put money its a bad hydro connector. Unplug them if they are hard to unplug you prob have a bad connector, spend 20 bucks and change them...Rob
  9. wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter Member

I thought the same thing about my connector that was a year old. I tore everything apart and cleaned it only to find out it was the female connector. :cry: It's the easiest thing to start off with before taking things apart.
  10. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

My money is with dlcs, wickedcarpenter and Rob.
    Check the quick connect.

90chevyplow you never said what kind of plow it is.
    Can you take a picture and upload it?
  11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

After you have it left , will it go stright again?
  12. 90chevyplow

It's a meyers plow.
    No it will not go straight again after it is turned left. You have to hold the switch and have someone pull it to the right and then it will go to the left again with no problem.
  13. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

change the quickconnect, you'd be fixed already in the time it takes to make another post.....
  14. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

It is the green wire solinoid I forget if it is "B" or "C" but the reason you get one way and not the other is that the solinoid is either stuck open or closed. The way the pump works is there is a black wire solioid that when you hit down it sends power to this to open it and the plow will go down. The red wire soliniod is the "up" so when you hit the up on the switch this one is powered. Well the green wire is the left and right so when you hit right the solinoid stays closed and when you hit left the solinoid opens and goes left or vise versa. What is happeneing is the solinoid is staying open or closed so when you go left it goes left but when you go right it still goes left. So what I am trying to say is to check the green wire solioid.
  15. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

If it is going to the left but not to the right. I hope you are concentrating your troubleshooting to the left cylinder. The right pushes it left and the left pushes it right.

I also agree that the 1st thing is to change ALL quick connects. The time and cash it takes is less than this thread has gone on.