1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got a new truck!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Banksy, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I just got a second (new to me) truck. I will have pics tomorrow. I know it's worthless without pics, but I was too dang excited to not share the news. Here are some details. It's a 1998 Dodge 3500 dually, 4x4, reg cab, auto, 24 valve Cummins. 217,000 miles. This will be the primary plow truck.

The truck has some issues, but nothing that is major IMO. Here's the list of bad from what I can tell.

1. dead pedal issue. It did it to me on the test drive. All of a sudden the pedal goes dead, but it came right back.

2. needs a track bar and maybe a drag link.

3. 2 front tires. The rears are all brand new

4. needs some cosmetic work. The dually bed pieces have some cracks and minor damage.

5. Interior needs some cleaning.

6. shift position indicator doesn't work.

Ok, now the good.

It drives and shifts real nice and stops good.

It has no rust on it. (southern truck)

The cab and front end sheet metal are perfect.

It starts right up and sounds real good.

4x4 works well.

He wouldn't budge off of $4,000. Then we realized that we had a mutual friend in common and he took off $250. I got it for a final price of $3,750 bucks.
  2. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

I wish I could find something like that around here for that price.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like you got a good deal, now don't you wish that always happened:D
  4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I got the craigslist pic to work and saved it on my comp. Here she is. Will post better ones later.

5. 05Duramax073

05Duramax073 Member

What are you going to hang off the front of the truck for a plow?
  6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I'm going to put my 8 foot Minute Mount on it. That way it can go on either truck. I'll need wings though, I think. This would look sweet with a nice flat bed. There is NO rust or rot on this rig.

Here are some pics I just took of it in the driveway.

7. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

it sure doesn't look like a 217000 mile truck. around here there wouldnt be any body left. nice find
  8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Thanks. The interior shows 217K miles though. It was a landscape truck and the upholstery is pretty grimy and the carpet is disgusting. I can probably get a new one from LMC truck or JC Whitney. The dash just needs soap and water with elbow grease. I'm thinking about a custom flat bed for this.
  9. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

10. rgrimes945

rgrimes945 Senior Member

Nice truck, the flatbed Idea I like plenty of room for a salter.....A nice addition to our family of plows
  11. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

nice truck bud. maybe i can get mike to get some more wiring and plates.
  12. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I'm not a dodge guy, but I just recently saw one on craigslist that was from FL, it had like 270,000 miles and it was a crew cab cummins. Looked to be in decent shape. In one of the pics, you could see it was an old man driving it. He wanted 3 or 4 grand.
  13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Florida truck is probably rot free like this one.

So far I've changed the oil, tranny fluid, fuel filter and air filter. It needs front brake pads, track bar and drivers side tie rod end.
  14. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Very nice!.My next truck is going to be a Dodge Cummins one ton too. Probably red in color. No more GMC diesels for me. I used to have a 1991 Dodge Cummins (250) 110,000 miles and wish I still had it.
  15. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Sorry Charles I am having a tough time picturing you driving a diesel one ton:drinkup:
  16. Charles

How about a big diesel Massey Ferguson Tractor:drinkup:
  17. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I am going to need a pic:nod:
  18. Charles

I have ran a lawn and brush/woods cutting biz since 1991:drinkup:
  19. 01CTD2500

01CTD2500 Member

Dead pedal issue is going to cost you some money to fix! I would invest in a good fuel pressure gauge asap, and you will probably find it is very low as the transfer pump is probably dead or weak causing your injection pump to go to hell (dead pedal is a symptom).... we are talking $1000 MINIMUM for an injection pump plus labor..
  20. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I fixed the dead pedal issue. I got a new APPS (accelerator pedal position sensor). I installed a FASS and a gauge. I'm getting 18-19 psi at idle to the VP44 injector pump. Truck runs like a top now. The new APPS was $160 through a guy who does some custom work to them and they are 10 times better than what a Dodge dealer can provide.