1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got a new to me duramax

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by durafish, Nov 13, 2012.

1. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

just bought a 2001 chevy eclb 2500hd duramax with 200,000 miles for 4 grand with a plow setup. needs brake work but i think i got a good deal? only problem is its NH and im in RI the brakes arent safe so it needs to be towed. Any ideas on towing it or have anybody that can do it for somewhat cheap.

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Can you borrow an equipment trailer? Your 04 will tow it fine.

3. durafish

from 02919

Oh I know my 04 will do fine and I can barrow a trailer but if it breaks or something I would rather just pay $300 and have someone else do it.

4. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Maybe it would be less hassle to have the brakes fixed locally & drive it home? Do you know what's wrong with brakes?

5. durafish

from 02919

i thought about that too but id rather just have my guy do all the work at once. the guy said he had new brake lines put in and doesn't think the guy bleed them right, they work around town but if i needed to stop short i would simply be screwed.

6. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I see. I guess hauling price is dictated by miles. How many miles is it? If < 100 I would think a towing service w/flatbed would be feasible.

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

You think that tow will only cost $300?

8. durafish

from 02919

i dont really know thats why im asking but if someone has a trailer sitting in the yard and want to make some extra cash on the side then yea. i would do it for $300 if i had a trailer and wasn't doing anything on a weekend it will only cost $150-$200 in fuel so at the end of they day you walk away with $100 isn't that bad if you not doing anything.

9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

$100 at the end of the day isn't that bad????First of all,if the fuel calculation is correct,it will not be $100 profit,that is fact.Did you forget to factor in having the correct insurance[towing for others,NOT the same as towing for yourself],wear and tear on 2 rigs,and mileage depreciation?Then you also need to factor in the initial investment of both rigs and their upkeep. Somebody giving up a day on a weekend to make this chump change?I don't think I would do $300 for a good friend,never mind a stranger.The job is worth every bit of $600 easy.Remember,dead heading is an expense borne onto you,NOT onto the trucker,especially since this is only a 1 time gig here.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

PM Repoman207 he may be able to tow it for you.