1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got a lot of new sub contractor's?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MickiRig1, Nov 4, 2011.

1. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have worked as a subcontractor plowing for the last 12 years. I retired my plow truck this spring. I started my search for a plow for my current truck way too late. My sources for used plows are out of stuff. They say every dude unemployed has bought them. Now they a plower! Have you found you have a lot more people calling you for subcontractor positions? I called the guy I worked for. He himmed and hawed about maybe he don't need me this season! I am thinking I have been LOW BALLED on the subcontractor rate!!!!
  2. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

Its tuff times out there, Do you blame people for trying to make a buck...?

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

It is happening everywhere. Well at least Michigan,Wisconsin, Illinois and now Ohio. I am pretty sure the rest of the snow states are dealing with something of the same problem. :realmad:

I would just recommend to you to ask your hem hawing guy if he has checked everyone's insurance papers before he lowballs you out the door.

I was told by one of the BOSS dealers here that they have had to refuse to mount some plows on trucks as they were dangerous to be on the road let alone hanging a plow from it as well. :eek: But they have installed and sold more plows this year than ever before.

There is a lot of pavement to plow around here but I really don't want to be dedicated to one lot because of the over abundance of plow trucks out there. Although I have yet to be asked to take a pay cut I see it coming. My guy has others calling him daily saying they will work for basically peanuts. If they have the proper insurance I can see his point of hiring them as he would have more profit in his pocket. So far tho when he asks for documentation it is the guy calling that starts to hem an haw. Thumbs Up
  4. MickiRig1

A few things will knock the rookies out of plowing. When they have to pay to have stuff fixed. I wrench all my repairs. I noticed in years past the rookies can't hang with repairs and plow problems. They are out of service rather quickly if a minor problem pop's up. Like most of us, it's just a minor glitch. Fix it and get back out there.They don't have the resources to keep going.They think it's just " EASY MONEY". The truck will take it's 10%.
  5. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

I'm too honest and/or nice to work that way.

I give my sub $10 an hr more than he asked for.
    I'm a small company, its just me and one other guy.
  6. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

Word on the street here in Jersey is the sub rates are down big time. I used to get $110 an hr working as a sub with my 85 Dodge half ton and 7.5 Western. That was ten years ago when I was just a rookie. Now I'm lucky to get even $90 with my 99 Dodge 2500 and 8' Fisher. Not to mention over twelve years experience under my belt. What can we do? Times are tough.
  7. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

What we need is a couple of light accumulation years and LOTS and LOTS of plows will be for sale in our area. We haven't had that for a good while but we will again at some point...and lots will sale their plows. Normally there are lots of used plows in the spring and fall but the ones out there are premium dollars this year. As far as prices getting paid to subs and getting paid to contractors by property owners and managers these are down due to lots of events in past couple of years which is increased costs to them, more competition which equals lower costs, vacant spaces and reduced payments to property owners to keep facilities occupied all of this equals lower payments to subs and the regular contractors. It all falls down hill...
  8. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

:gunsfiring: low ballers.

They are everywhere and short sighted in everything they do. This year more have jumped in and more lawsuits will be filled too - both in order to make a buck.

BTW ... $90 an hour - wow. Around these parts it's 40-60 an hr avg and up to 75 for a good fast headache free plower. Shovelers 10-20 an hr. Too many people thinking they can plow let alone drive in the white stuff.
  9. Snow Commandor

from 07666

Just got contacted by one of the big outfits here in Jersey. They want to give me $85 an hr. Should I go for it or hold out for a better offer? Yes, no, mabe so?
  10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We ran an ad a few weeks ago and just like my post in here a couple weeks ago...."is anybody out there". We had 1 call from some kid who, of course wanted paid under the table because God forbid it might mess up his unemployment. Needless to say our conversation was very short. We're still in a good place, we lost about 8 places both residential and commercial but now we can handle everything in house and only need 1 sub versus the 5 or 6 we were using last year. I think things will be a lot smoother this year. It's getting to not be not worth it any more.
  11. Diesel59

Diesel59 Junior Member

I have been looking for a "heavy duty" truck for months.... Everything that has a plow or would be a decent truck to plow with is either already sold or is priced WAY high. I was just talking to a guy today that said he just installed a plow on his truck to make some extra money.....

All I could think while listening to him ramble on and on was.... I bet you don't have a business license, or actual insurance that covers a plow on your truck, or how about actual business insurance.

Lots of people think they can "plow" snow.
  12. Snow Commandor

from 07666

Anyone with a plow truck thinks they can plow snow. Let them try all they want. They will learn the hard way it's not @ easy as they think.
  13. MickiRig1

I just got put on the list of subcontractors for a big snow removal company. I was just driving down a street and noticed all the plows sitting. Went in to ask if they were for sale. They said no. I asked if they hired subcontractors. Yes and we have a huge amount of work! Sign me up! Now I have to find me a used plow for The Big Red Drain II.
  14. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I dont work for less than $100 an hour, but if you dont have any work, yea id say its smart to go for it. Its just like gambling, get to greedy and lose it all.
  15. MickiRig1

What are you running that get's you $100 an hour? Around here a subcontractor gets $50 an hour, $65 if he has a V or 810 Blizzard.
  16. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Im sorry I should have clarified that's not a sub rate that my normal rate.

I pay my sub $75 an hour he asked for 65-75 I pay 75, hes very happy, I bill the customer $150
  17. MickiRig1

Some services around here do pay like that. But you have to be out every event. I can't, I have a full time ambulance gig. They pay 75% of what they bill to the driver. In this area we have a lot of people that have plowed snow their whole life. So contractors have a BIG pool to draw from.
  18. A.M.Canfora

A.M.Canfora Member

I had a friend last year who never plowed a day in his life put a new plow on his 09 F-250 then call me up asking if I can get him into the company I plow for that does 5 shoprites here in North Jersey. After I told him nicely that I would never vouch for a guy who I've never seen plow let alone one who has no experience he responded with the normal "you make it sound like plowing is a science" and "anybody can plow its easy". I wished him goodluck and told him to find someone on his own. he plows a A&P down the street from my house now for 75 an hour and If he ever plowed one of my lots the way he plows that lot I would have fired him ASAP.
  19. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

I took these pics from our last snow storm.

Unbelievable how bad of a job the plowers did.
    I'm still in my rookie year and do a much better job than this.
    Its like they just piled snow randomly where ever they felt like picking up the plow.
    Didn't matter if it was blocking the driving lanes.

image 001.jpg

image 003.jpg

image 002.jpg

image 004.jpg

image 005.jpg
  20. benben

benben Junior Member
    from ny

where in jersey is that and do you think they need an extra truck?? =)