1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got a great deal on a plow... But will my truck handle it?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by browenb, Oct 12, 2010.

1. browenb

browenb Junior Member

Thank you in advance to all who comment on this thread.

I've got an opportunity to purchace a Western V-Plow, everything included.
    The current owner said it is either a 7.6 or 8 foot plow.
    The plow comes with the mount for an f250 so I'm going to assume I'll need a new mount?

My Truck is the following:

2004 Silverado Z71 4x4 Extended Cab, 6.5 foot box.
    GVWR - 6400
    Front - 3925
    Rear - 3750

I'll I'm looking to do is my yard, my parents, and my sister. I'm not in this to make any money, just want to take care of the family.

Thank you once again to all who reply to this post.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If your not looking to make money doing this, why are you looking at a V plow? You can buy a brand new straight blade homeowners model for less than 3,500.00 with a warranty. If the V plow is a great buy, then yes you could do it with your 1/2 ton chevy, but you will need to add timbrens ( like heavier springs) and make sure you have ballast in the bed of your truck. Never leave the plow up unless your driving the truck, and you should be fine.

3. browenb

browenb Junior Member

Thank you for the reply.

The offer I have for the V plow is considerably less then 3500.00, even considering the $180 or so for the Timbrens. Warranty isn't an issue, I'm mechanically inclined, (build hot rods) and use electric/hydrolic equipment all the time.

As for the Ballast, I'm assuming that is simply a counter weight to compensate for the weight of the plow and rigging? Any idea as to how much counter weight I should apply?

Thanks again to all who reply to this, I really do appreciate the information.

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

450 lbs of ballast will work fine up against the tailgate. good luck and post some pics once you get it all together.

5. browenb

browenb Junior Member

Fantastic!

Thank you for your help. Timbrens are ordered, got a set for the rear at the same time.

I'm headed up tomorrow to see it. If everything works out, I'll have it on before the end of the month.

Thanks again for the useful information, I'm sure you guys get bombarded with crap like this from guys like me without any plowing knowledge. Really appreciate all the help. And I will be sure to take some pics, and send them this way when it's all together.

6. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

As far as ballast is concerned, 4-5 five gallon pales of salt/sand sometimes available from your municipality will sufice. If you get a little stuck, you can throw a little salt/sand, you'll get a little traction, and drive a little out of your stuck. 2x6 or a cycle strap on your box chocks keep it in place.

7. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

As for the Sand and Salt at the tail gate? Make sure that you cover it so it doesn't get wet. Once it's wet all you have is weight. I use salt in plastic bags and once in a while one will get wet and turns into a brick. It's very important to secure what ever you use so it doesn't come flying through your back window if you hit something.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

As far as I know the smallest Vee Western makes is a 8'6".
    Just take the plow off the truck when not in use and you should be fine.

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

10. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

DON'T hit anything! ! ! One time I had a bunch of basement blocks in the back of an old pickup, I fell asleep driving home and jumped a field drive (Dukes of Hazzard style). This was a horrowing event, Now I try not to have loose things in the back

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Western makes a 7'6.............but I'm doubting that's what it is if its cheap. They just started making them. If (and I assume it is) it's an 8'5, I wouldn't do it. And that's coming from the king of overloading trucks with heavy plows. You'll be doing hub assy's and ball joints twice annually. That's if the torsion bars don't snap.