1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got a day off, finally !

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John Allin, Jan 15, 2001.

1. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

After 54 days in a row, we got a whole day off yesterday (Sunday - 1/14/01). Went the whole day without having to salt, plow, stack or haul.

Never fear.... snow in the forecast tonight - and we got a call to stack snow this afternoon at a food market before it snows again.

Now we start the count over again.....

2. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

I read a little blurb in my local paper that stated your area as having the second longest run of snow in the area's recorded history. I think the longest was '76/'77.

My wife just had her right-hand employee quit due to burn-out. We suspected as much and tried to give him a break, but he wants to move on to a more fulfilling field. Is burn-out an issue with you John, after (during) such a run?

3. Iceman

Iceman Member

John,
    Sometimes I find myself wanting to do a snow dance, praying for snow. Because I really do like to plow.
    But good grief, 54 days in a row! No-way! When spring hit after a winter like that, I think you'ld see a bunch of classifieds for snow removal equipment with my phone # at the bottom.
    You guys must buy your cutting edges by the case!

4. John Allin

RE: Burnout
    Not really. We learned about 6 years back (when we went 62 days in a row, got two days off, and then went another 24 days in a row) that we had to rotate people and make sure that they got time off every day (5-8 hours each day).

Takes some discipline to adhere to it, but it's worth it in the long run.

RE: cutting edges
    Not by the case. By the skid load. Each truck will go through 6-8 edges a season.

5. Foster

Foster Junior Member

Is it just me?

Am I the only guy that breaks stuff? I swear, with every snow event this season, I have had something major break. This weekend, I just tore out the front end of my dodge pickup. U-joint parts all over the snow and broke another shock. Not to mention the alternator that went out on the dumptruck. I think I have the midas touch - except everything I touch turns to s**t! There, I have vented, I feel much better....

6. Foster

Foster Junior Member

sorry, I was trying to post a new 'topic' and now I can't edit it... I'm goin' to bed!

7. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

enjoy the time off while ya got it.

Geoff

8. Iceman

Iceman Member

Don't feel bad Foster, I'm often in the same boat. But you know, when the big stuff breaks, for some reason I can deal with it. Maybe its because I'm used to it I don't know.
    But what really gets me is when all the small stuff breaks.
    Seems like during or after every event, a pull cord breaks on a snowblower, or a bearing goes on the salter, or the plow lights fail, or......! Jeez, and it never ends!

9. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

geez, I think we've only gone out twice since Jan 1st. We're praying for snow here!!!!!

10. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Alrighty John,
    Been going here about 3 weeks straight with NO work boy ol boy Am I beat.LOL

11. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Hey John,

How do we get one of those lakes over here in Philly??

Mark

12. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

First handy, you're gonna need alot of excavation equipment andBig dump trucks...

Then go to the west side of Philly and start digging. As you dig truck everything to the east side of Philly and start building your mountain range.

After you get your hole deep enough and long enough, and your mountain range high enough, get a long garden hose and start filling.

I figure that if you star right now, by the time you acquire the property and get the necessary DEP permits, arrange all the subcontractors, and get the hole dug and filled, it just might be the year 2150( if your lucky enough to finish it by then).

Is it really worth it!!!

Just remember man, God has a mean, wicked sense of humor. Thats why places like Chicago, Erie, Buffalo, Syracuse and others get the heavy duty snow.

13. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

John, just curious. What are your hobbies? What did you do on your day off? My guess is you did something related to snow removal or business? You love it to much to ignore it for a day.

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I thought I really loved snowplowing, but I'm not sure I love it that much.

15. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Hey Mark,
    Snowplowing is one of those things.You either love it hate it or kinda like me do it to keep customers happy keep the lights on and take the ol wife out to din din.

16. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

John,

Permit??? We don't need no stinkin permits!!!

I have 10 properties in w/philly, but scattered. I'll have to start buying them togeher. Will keep you posted!!

Mark

17. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Big Bucks John,

With all that money rolling in,can I expect dinner in Denver? You are truly the King!
    Mike

18. John Allin

I know that at least one meal comes with attending the Symposium.

Does that count ??

As for hobbies ??

What's a hobby ?