1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

got a call tonight....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Castlerockmo, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Castlerockmo

Castlerockmo Junior Member

Ok I have a full service landscape company,the only thing I don't do is snow and ice management. Well another company about 20 min north of me got a resort in my area but he wants me to do the plowing. He said if I buy a plow he will give me the resort and 2 walgreens. I can probably get one mall a small store a resort and a funeral home on my own. My question is...is it worth the money to buy a plow and take the jobs. Bc I have the money to buy one out right but its my winter money! I want to make sure I would get my money back to atleast put food on the table? Do I buy new used?

I am nervous its like starting all over again! Tell me what you guys think.
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Its a risk we "plower's" take every year. In our area, unless we have a freaky winter, we're guaranteed to get around 80-120 inches. Do you know your average snowfall?
  3. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I think you should work for another company, using their equpment. You'll learn the basics of plowing and salting and you'll also get to see what plows suite you the best, then you can save the money you earn this year and buy a plow next October. Now you could go out on your own this year but you might end up damaging equipment and/ or your truck.
  4. Castlerockmo

Well I have plowed for a resort I use to work for in their trucks. My question is how long will it take me to get my ROI.
    If I don't do it this year for him then there is no need for me to do it in the future. Its now or never.
  5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You will need to determine what your ROI will be.

This is an opportunity for you. Never say never....

Jump on in...the waters great! :drinkup:
  6. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

branson barely gets enough snow, you'll be lucky to get 12" total over three snowfalls. It's probably why he won't buy the equipment to service it himself. tell him "go eat salt."
  7. Castlerockmo

We get a lot of Ice, we may get three or four snows a year, recently a lot of ice. This guy has 6 plows and dosent want to drive S for these three jobs.
  8. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

well, to service ICE you just doubled your investment cause you need a plow and a salter. Maybe if you can get a multi-year deal with the guy.
  9. mole

mole Senior Member

u listed a lot of places to plow with one truck? u sure you want that much stress on your primary truck?
  10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Buy a used plow and save some cash. Same for a spreader if you need to put out salt. You'll have less invested and can take on the accounts. Plus you'll probably have money left over to keep you feeling better about the financial situation. Just check out your local craigslist, you'll find out quickly what plow everyone in that area prefers.
  11. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Definitely consider the salter. You will like the ROI on that. :nod:
  12. hightop

hightop Member

Do you already have a suitable truck?
  13. Castlerockmo

I have an 08 f-250
  14. Castlerockmo

I did I don't know if I would do them all but I know I could get them if I wanted them. They are places I do the lawn care currently.
  15. hightop

hightop Member

Then I think I would try to find a decent used plow, a brand with a dealer nearby, if you get a lot of ice a salter is a money-maker when your plow & truck would otherwise be idle.
  16. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

get a sander instead of a plow
  17. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Dont be so sure you can get them all..... business who don't have contracts by now are WAY behind. Many of the places you listed should already be signed.
  18. Castlerockmo

anyone have any experience with Snowdogg? we dont have alot of dealers around,but he is one. all we have is Western,Hinker,Snowdogg.
  19. Castlerockmo

I am pretty sure I could get them, but then again I have thought that about lawn accounts!:cry:
  20. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Did your f250 come from the factory with a snow plow package?