1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Got a call from USM today

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rat_Power_78, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

Sure didnt expect that. They are either desperate or else they are calling everybody they can find. I am WAY too small to take on a Walmart, not that I would work for them if I had the equipment to do something that big. Wierd thing is, they called my cell. I cant figure out how they would have got my number, considering I am pretty much a one man show in a small town and I dont advertise.

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Who know's, I spent the last couple days doing estimates for them (just to see) and come to find out the places were already awarded. We are second on the list if the other company falls through. The other company isn't going to fall through. Make your own judgements about them, there are a lot of hoops you have to jump through to work for them. In all honesty, you admit your a smaller company...probably not worth a second thought.

3. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

At this point, I have no where near the amount of equipment needed to service that size lot. I am essentially a one man operation for now. The hoops they make you jump through are understandable, its all the slow payment and non-payment stories that I would be worried about.

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Counter those stories with the ones who say that if you're a fair businessperson, have your ducks in a row and can manage to do a few pieces of paperwork and keep them up to date, and determine that if you bid YOUR price and what YOU need to charge to make a buck, that you too can succeed, even with a company like USM or a big bad 'national'.

Why couldn't you hire a person and buy a truck or lease or rent a loader to take on a place like a Wal-Mart or Target? If its just not where you want to go, then good for you for the quick and forthright turndown!

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I applaud him for admitting he's not comfortable with the size of his operation to even entertain this type of contract. It took me years to be able to handle a place like this. There are so many things to get lined up in order to do a lot this size. I like how some guys think its soooo easy to go buy this, that and everything. Our local Target has at least 2 loaders, and at least a couple trucks on it on any given storm for about 2-3 hours and our newest Walmart isa Super Walmart over 500,000 sqft...its 11+acres.

6. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

I never said it was easy. But, its also not brain surgery! Nor is USM the end of our industry.

7. concrete

concrete Junior Member

we have been doing 3 walmarts for years usm called 3 weeks ago to offer us the job, all they needed me to do was call and leave my email adderss to get the prosess started. Have called with that email adderss and left it on voice mail at least 10 times. we have not got any thing from them. funny thing is not so sure any of any one else in this area can do the job. I am done calling them

8. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

My money is on you hearing from them 6 hours before your first storm of the season, begging and pleading.

They bid out by geographic region, and seem to have tunnel vision for the current bid, so maybe your area is just not up yet.

9. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

You think they're being a pita now... wait until you need to get paid!

10. pcslawn

pcslawn Junior Member
    from iowa

Just say No

Just Say No to USM why let a middle man make the money when its us out there at all hours of the night busting our @$$$ and let them take all our money

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Its not the fact they are a middle man (sometimes thats a benefit to a smaller biz getting started with work on larger lots)...........its the fact they throw BS contracts out there, and expect everyone but them to assume responsibility for the lots they contract out. To hell with USM & any company that promotes contracts like that:waving:

P.S. This post will probably get deleted....like lots of others of mine.

12. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

It's not that hard to complete the work, as a smaller company. It is really tuff as a small company to carry the A/R for 60-90 days and still buy gas and salt and pay workers.

13. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

...especially if you can't get paid at all... or have to pay the increased insurance premiums or court costs and settlement as the result of a slip and fall accident since the contract you signed basically said no one else is responsible except you. F'em.

14. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

All my experience with nationals has been good. Slower pay, but good. The problem is people don't follow reporting rules. Then it will slow pay. On another note I would never sign a contract like usm

15. cseutah

cseutah Member
    from Utah

I went against everyone last year saying they were a pain to get money out of and didnt want to dissapoint my Wal-Marts that i have had for the last 10 years. I agreed to their less than average rates on stores and hoped for a not so big season. I jumped through their hoops turned in my paperwork not once, twice or three times but 14 times, 2 of them certified. I have all my store sign offs and everything. It is now the end of September and they still owe me over $20,000.00 left on my contracts. I started to see checks about the end of July. And to top that off they had the audacity to call and see if I would be covering the Wal-Marts again, even the store managers have been calling afraid I will not take care of them, promising they will help to be sure that i'm paid. I would think that I would be foolish to try it again, I mean I paid all my bills last winter, fuel, labor, subs, everything and not one penny was sent to me until the end of July.

16. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

This mirrors my situation. I won't call them and never received their email after they had my address. I will wait until there is snow on the ground and the store manager calls me after getting approval from his district manager. USM can push around guys in the larger towns, but around here they can suck hind teat.

Thanks for posting a realistic expectation for everyone to see. Now this thread will suddenly disappear.

17. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

someone needs to make this a bulletin..

18. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

Hey Luke,

USM has been calling me non stop wanting me to bid that Walmart too. I don't know if your a member of SIMA, but they could of got your number from them. Damel will really be pissed if they loose another account. I would hate to be the guys who get it this year. He made my life hell last year when I took one from him.

19. charlefoxtrtot

charlefoxtrtot Member
    from MD

Usm

U United
    to
    S Shift
    the
    M Middle man

20. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

What????...Do you mean SHAFT