1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

got a boss with a very bad install

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 1 bad bolt, Sep 16, 2008.

1. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

i just picked up my truck from getting my plow install. one of the pins on the main harness in broken off inside the plug, which probally is why the button to raise and lower the plow dosnt work. i didnt get a owners manual to see how the plow operates, no mount for the plow control inside the truck, basically ripped the lower plastic off my truck backin away from the plow because the didnt cut enough off for the mounts.lights arnt even close to being aligned . this plow is brand new can any one give me some details on the how to hook and unhook .for the mean time before i bring it back to the dealer. also this is on my 2004 chevy 1500 does anyone have a pic where the wire/plugs come out of the front of there truck? mine come out near the bottoma and are about a foot and half long basically ready to drag on the ground . errrrrr im not a happy camper just venting
  2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Take it back, tell'em to fix it now, or get your money back. :nod:
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If you can pull into the plow and hook it up you can use a jack to raise the plow and strap it into place.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Someones phone would be ringing off the hook.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you got a rush install. You should have received an owners packet with the manual and the self adhesive clip for the controller as well.

On the '03'-06 Chevy's I normally run the plow connectors out through the driver side horizontal slot in the bumper. Keeps them within easy reach, off the ground, and they store nicely on top of the rubber splash shield behind the bumper.

I can email you an owners manual if you want a digital version of it.
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That sucks, hopefully you get everything worked out.
  7. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

there phone will most def be ringing tomorrow morning, they didnt leave any kind of paper work in the truck except for there garbage on my floor. is there supposed to be a bracket for the plugs thats on the truck? i only ask because between the wires coming out of the truck and the wires on the plow is about a total about 2 1/2 feet of wire hanging is that correct on these plows ? also when the plow is unhooked should there be a cover for the main plug on the plow to keep wheather /.moisture away from all the pins in the plug. i appreciate you mailing me a manual but either there giving me all the paper work that i should get or there taking the plow back, i was super excited about geting my plow until i went to pick my truck up and started looking it over.
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Tell them to take the plow off and get your money back ,but take some pixs first. And call Boss also.
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes there is a mounting bracket for the connectors but few installers use them anymore due to lack of placement on these newer trucks.

And yes there should be a weather cap on both the plow and truck power wire and control connector plugs.

Understand your frustration...the dealer is the difference between a good product...and a great product.
  10. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

also i see there see there is a latch that moves when you lock or unlock the plow from the frame .i only see one on the driver side of the truck , is there supposed to be one on the passenger side as well? it is frustrating when i was happy getting my plow specially a boss plow then all this came down on me like a ton of bricks . this is my first plow and kind of hard when u dont really know what your looking for when there no book or anything
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Safety latch is only used on the driver side, so no your not missing one.

You can however add the passenger side one for extra insurance if you want.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I would take pics of this. Email them to boss, and also give them the installers name, number and what not. Then I would go right down there first thing tomorrow morning. I wouldn't wait in line for anything, or waste time calling them, you get more done in person, and that way they can see whats going on too. Also ask to speak to the owner, and ask him if this is what he would want on his truck. Tell them to take it off, and give you a full refund. When you get those pics sent to boss send them our way too. Oh and have them replace the lower valance on your truck too. Even tho its gonna get cut again, it not worth having it hanging down in some spots, and torn here and there.
  13. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

Bummer, hope the dealer gets bawled out by Boss.

If you go to the boss website you can get the installation manual, it might help you find any other problems before you take it back to the dealer.
  14. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

bummer man. i would be pissed. how did you pay?
  15. rjets00

rjets00 Member

If you didn't get paperwork, you can go to boss website and download all manuals for the plow. Sorry to here =bad deal. once you get it all lined out you will love it .
  16. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

bad deal

man i am sad to hear about the bad experience ,like they said before take picture's document in writing every thing that they did and did not do ,tell them exactly what you except to be done to resolve the problem ,manual ,them showing you how to operate it .make sure they fix it professionally for the good dollar you paid ./i know yours is a couple year's newer hears how i have my plug mounted ,i had a extra valance panel i got from a body shop so it did not bother me to cut it .

img 0004 sm .jpg
  17. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Just had to reject a Boss plow install myself... on a 9'2" V-XT... One of the pins jammed after putting it in float and trying to disconnect. We managed to get it disconnected, but then the pin jammed trying to hook up again... Also, the plow was a little dinged up and needed some touch up paint right off. I lit up the guy I contracted and he took it down to his sub personally and should be getting it back to me this afternoon. For the kind of money we're talking about, you gotta stay on top of these guys to make sure they get it right. Not that any of these guys are bad guys - just gotta be sure to make your point.
  18. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

The customer is alway right but, there are two ways to deal with the valance, which they should have asked you. Either take it off or notch it. Taking it off is usually the best becasue if you ever decide to get rid of the truck, you can take the plow mount off and put the valance back on. I personally think that notching makes it look kind of cheesy. Here is what you should have gotten: Controller dash mount, owners manual with parts listing drawings and maintenance DVD, dialectic grease, and the truck side wiring mount. You also should have gotten dust covers for both plow and truck side.

I catch my guys leaving out the manuals and accessories all the time. I always try to take the time to go over all of the manuals and accessories (that Boss includes in their kits) and answer any questions. It sounds like they just threw this together and handed it over to you. Sorry for your bad experience.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  19. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

i spoke to them to day chewed them into a new one told them im emailing pics to boss then there attitude changed i have to bring the truck back over tomorrow so we can go over everything that needs fixed and replaced. the sad thing is i stopped by the shop yesterday to see if i was going to need a ride to pick my truck up and started asking the installer a couple questions and another guy rudley says to me is this your truck? i reply yes then he says if you want your truck done leave!!!! if i wasnt rudley told to leave i could have gotten some answers that i was looking for and most of this could have been avoided. so we are going to see tomorrow how this turns out. one other question there is a solinoid under the hood with some wires hooked to it, should there be any kind of cover over it to protect anything hitting the hot side fo these connectors? sorry for all the questions guys but im going to make them do this to the T now after what should have done in the first place. sorry for the long post
  20. Indy

Indy Senior Member

This might help you get from where you are to were you want to be.

go to the boss web site above, click on manuals in the service area and you can read what boss has in mind for a proper install and you will be well armed for you next conversation at the dealer.

Go to a John Deer dealer or you plow guy and buy a can of Fluid film and coat your electricals with a film, including your under hood solenoid, they don't need a cover.:waving: (the solenoid) still put the dust caps on you harness ends.