1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gooseneck or Fifth Wheel differences?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by BackAcreFarm, Sep 17, 2004.

1. BackAcreFarm

BackAcreFarm Junior Member

I know the difference, but I'm wondering about the pluses or minuses. Is one better or worse than the other? How would you decide which to use?
    Thanks!

2. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

BackAcreFarm,
    Welcome to plowsite. This is an excellent question. What kind of trailer are you pulling (cattle, enclosed box, flatbed, camper) & what is your cargo? We pull mostly Goose Necks with 2 5/16 Ball Hook Ups. We have several different trailers: 2 25' flatbeds, 2 26' cattle, 1 24' flatbed, 1 16' dump with 4' sides. All of them hook up with a ball in the bed. The gooseneck with a ball seems to work just fine for us. Most people in our area run this same type of setup. Now the brake system is a whole other question. Lots of different options. We run electric on all but one and it has air over hydraulic. We bought the truck and trailer together. I like the system, seems to stop really we. :waving: BOAST

3. BackAcreFarm

BackAcreFarm Junior Member

BOAST, Thanks for the info. I'm going to be getting something to move a few cattle, and I see trailers with every option from bumper hitches to 5th wheel to goosenecks. Since I'll be getting the trailer and hitch at the same time I was wondering if there's some reason to pick one over the other. I've borrowed and driven trucks/trailers of both types and didn't see any difference in handling. I like the idea of the gooseneck not taking as much room in the truck.

4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Yep, the flip over ball in the bed is nice, my buddies mostly run flat bed trucks and have a trap door that covers the ball. If you truck has a bed on it, then a flip over ball system is a must. You don't loose any room at all with this type gooseneck hitch when the trailer is detached. I am sure you have a local dealer for this style hitch. If you don't, let me know and I will get you a web site where you can order it. Have a good weekend :waving: BOAST