1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gooseneck or Bumper Hitch

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by AllOutLandscape, Mar 22, 2011.

1. AllOutLandscape

AllOutLandscape Member

Just wondering what you guys thought comparing pulling a gooseneck vs a bumper pull during snow events?
    I have always pulled our s205 Bobcat on a 18' towmaster bumper hitch skid trailer but a certain someone decided that we need to invest in a horse trailer so looks like the plow rig is gonna have a gooseneck instaled on it soon. Just wondering if it would be worth it to look at a 24-28' flat bed gooseneck. i have alot of experience pulling around the bumperhitch in the snow which can get pretty hairy at times. thanks
  2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i dont necessarily have a say either way pulling in snow, but i can tell you that i went with a pintle setup on my 25' deckover b/c i liked the versatility of pulling it with any of my trucks. plus you cant pull a gn with a dumptruck.
  3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

GN will always be better in the snow because it adds weight to both the front and back axle of the truck unlike the the bumper hitch that removes weight from the front axle and tends to over load the rear axle.
  4. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Actually you can tow a GN with a dumptruck. I have an F550 Dump with a GN hitch built in under a little door. I also have removable sides though but it is possible. I also prefer GN, its the way to go plus all your friends can't " Borrow it for the weekend" because few have the hitch!
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  5. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Gooseneck all the way!! ! Thumbs Up you wont get trailer sway with a GN!
  6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

A guy who used to buy hay from the farm I worked at had a Uni-Ball gooseneck hitch on his 97 Ram 3500 Dump truck. He had cut the rear bed posts down and had a plate that filled the hole in the bed so he could still use it as a dump truck.

I vote gooseneck over tag trailer. They load the truck better and pull much better.
    And I recommend a B&W hitch for the truck. (I have no affiliation with the company, just lots of good experiences with their hitches)
  7. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Don't forget tighter turns with a goose neck.

GN FTW.
  8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

well, looks like I am the oposition.

Although goosenecks pull way better than a bumper pull as you almost cannot load them wrong, you loose your bed. I guess that it doesn't matter that much, but I know it seem like every time I go out to a job, I load the bed of my truck to the rim with tools and such.

Looking at things from the other side of the box:

What if you need to have a load of somthing in your dump truck bed? now you render then bed useless untill you unhook the trailer. plus, what if your truck goes down. you can almost always find a buddy that has a 3/4 ton truck with a reese hitch to pull your skidder for one event until you get your truck back. finding somone with a gooseneck is a lot harder.

If all you do is haul a skidder in the winter, then maybe a gooseneck is the way to go.