1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Googled my business name, Im not the only one in the U.S. , Is it a problem??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plowtoy, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with this. I work DBA (doing business as) and have for several years with no problem. Just wondering if this could be a problem, even though the other one is in Alaska. Thanks for any feedback, Dave.
  2. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I had a collection company call me years ago wanting payment for a van my company bought and never paid for but it was another company about 300 miles away I answered some questions and told them where I was and never heard from them again I don't think you will have a problem unless they have all of your information.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Is it the exact name? They could have LLc or inc after it and then you not the same.
  4. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Not a big deal. Especially if its a DBA. When you Google "Joe's Roofing" and you'll find one in every state practically.
  5. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I agree. I am Sullivan septic and I know of at least one other Sullivan septic out of Colorado. No big deal as long as it's another state. Even then, you are a DBA. I would assume they are a corporation. There is a difference
  6. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

Who had it first? That what tm lawyers usually ask. As long as you can get the .com of it i wouldnt worry :)
  7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I patented my name, and my slogan to avoid any issues, although I don't think there would be any issues anyhow.
  8. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

You patent a product. You trademark a name or slogan.

Plowtoy- like others have stated, I would definitely not worry about having another company with the same name in another state. If you want to expand to Alaska, then you could have an issue.
  9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

:sleeping: LOL oh ya, oops. I trademarked it Thumbs Up
  10. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I know of After Hours towing in pullman..
    When I decided on a business name I didn't want a name shared among others .
  11. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Thanks for all the feed back guys!! It definitely puts my mind at ease. I'm not sure if i will look into trademarking my name since it seems like its no big deal, and I'm not sure how much longer I will be in the snow plowing business (due to new full time job opportunities). Turfcommando, I see the After Hours Towing truck around the Allegan area all the time too, but have never had any issues with them. I think I have been in business a lot longer than them though. Thanks again EVERYONE!!! Dave
  12. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Different state shouldn't matter. Local to you is a different matter, aside from the obvious w/ Inc, etc. In 1990, I Incorporated my business name & chose it after researching every phone directory in the state (no internet yet). Several years later, 4-5 others popped up w/ a very similar name as mine which were basically lawn service type DBA's. It was irritating, but not much I could do about it. My biggest problem was that I was getting some of their calls & they were getting some of mine...I only design & build, they basically just mow lawns & general yard maint. You can see why this would be problematic for me.
    It didn't end there...I started getting invoices from suppliers that weren't mine, some were from places I didn't do business w/ or hadn't for several years. One company especially was a problem, his business name was very close to mine & we were both in the same zip code. He was deliberately charging on my suppliers accounts, and getting away w/ it. It finally bit him in the ass a few years ago when there was a salt shortage. I had to buy salt from one of my top soil suppliers, whom I hadn't bought from for about 8 months or so. It was an ice storm around 5:00 am when the accountant came running into the office saying "don't sell him anything" (while she was shaking a hand full of unpaid charges from that previous summer)...spent about 20 minutes arguing about how they were the other shmuck's...needless to say they apologized & he was black listed...No salt for you J.O.!!:cry: