1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

google earth

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by sk187, Jan 15, 2009.

1. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

How do you guys do the satellite overview with google earth to see your job sites?

I use maps.google.com but its a very bad picture and I know in the past I could see it real good I just cant remember how.

I also downloaded google earth but all I can get is distorted pictures and a great street view.

2. just plow it

just plow it Senior Member

I use maps.live.com. you can zoom in and view it in birds eye mode in most places. It looks like a picture from a low flying plane.

3. MattR

MattR Senior Member

I am interested in this subject as well. What I have noticed was the same as sk187 has with the bad images. I am on dial up so waiting what seems like hours and to only get blurry images really stinks. I do not mind waiting if the images are good. Am hoping for a site that is fast loading though because it will help save some time. Lately I have been using a site from my county deeds office, but they are blurry too.

I will check out that site just_plow_it and see how good those are.

Matt

4. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

The detail of the satellite images in your area depends on how high of a resolution the aerials were taken at the time. Resolution tends to be lower in rural/less populated areas and higher in heavily populated areas. Detail is also higher in areas deemed important by the government for surveillance purposes.

Edit- http://maps.live.com has birds-eye views in certain locations and that's about as good as you can get. It all depends on what locations have been photographed.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  5. MattR

MattR Senior Member

That would explain the blurry images I get. I am out in the boonies. Thank you.

Well so far so good. I better watch what my neighbors are doing if the images get more clear...lol.

6. just plow it

just plow it Senior Member

MattR, I drive truck part time and drive through Mattoon about twice a month and it sure is out in the boonies, one gas station and no cell phone service. How do you guys live up there. (lol)

7. MattR

MattR Senior Member

Even with the lack of stores, gas stations, etc.. Ever notice the amount of taverns in this area?..lol.

I am actually between Mattoon and Bowler so not even in the fast paced village of Mattoon...lol. I like the peace and quiet of the area. I did the city thing before and decided I needed to relax a bit more, so I moved up here. I always enjoyed the outdoors so I feel right at home in this area. If you ever notice where the Corner Bar or Vee's Campsite is, I live about 3-4 miles northeast of there.

If driving through here anytime soon, watch out on Hwy D about 5 miles south of Mattoon and almost all the way to Mattoon. Roads are a bit icy and they treat the sand/salt mix like it is gold and do not want to use much of it.

Matt