1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Google Earth Salt Pricing

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by crewcutenterprises, Dec 11, 2007.

1. crewcutenterprises

crewcutenterprises Member

Ok I saw on here someone who was using google earth to price.

Well Im new to salting and I needed a price per bag, min num and how many to do the whole thing.

Im guessing 20. But who knows the formula to figure it out and if you can tell me how to calculate it I would be very appreciative.

Mini Storage.jpg
  2. Prime

Prime Junior Member

I would probably go through roughly 600 lbs to salt that lot.

I buy bagged salt at approx. $180 / skid.
  3. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

I wish I could find prices like that a skid in northern New Jersey. I have been asking in my thread for a couple of days but everything is about 45 mins away( one way). Plus the best is $4.00 a bag.
  4. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

yah i would use about 600 + depending on how thick you lay it down or how fast you drive .. just by judging the lot size and time to do it .. maybe $150 .. which is cheap ... and another question is are they a good customer ?
  5. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

T&M works great if you dont need numbers up front.
    LOOKS LIKE 4-5 TON FOR THAT PIX. to you that would be 4 skids plus a laborer cracking bags.
    for every lane and lot in that pix.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  6. HC plower

HC plower Member

There is a faint black outline that I'm guessing is the area covered
  7. jkrak

jkrak Junior Member
    from midwest

Consider bulk salt. If you don't already have a spreader or are considering upgrading get a v-box, or now you can get an electric tailgate spreader to work with your dump box. You could probably price that out somewhere in the $375(rough est.) range depending on when you have to do it and how often.
  8. Runner

Runner Senior Member

There is no way of telling from this pic. Give me the address, and I'll look it up and measure it. This will tell you just how much you need for different conditions.
  9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Well, it IS tough w/o looking at it in person.

However, with that being said....it will take a lot more than 20 (whatever 20 is).

It will certainly take a lot more than 600lbs.

But I highly doubt it will take anywhere near 4 pallets.

I would say it would take the better part of a pallet. The main entranceway looks to be a GOOD two lanes wide. We're talking a lot just in this main thoroughfare.

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

I read on here last year that it is about 600-800#'s per acre. This has worked really well for me. measure out the lot with a wheel and then base it on that. 1/2 acre would be 300-400#'s. Its a good starting point anyway.
  11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

That main entranceway/thoroughfare looks as though it would be over an acre just by itself.

And, you have a LOT of shady areas between all the buildings. They will require more.