1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Google Earth and other mapping

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Grampa Plow, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

Hi guys...I got the idea from one of the posts to try to print out a aerial view of each of my lots so the guys I have plowing for me can see more clearly where to put the snow and where NOT to put the snow. I am in the midwest and if I go to Chicago or the West or East coast I can get pics of each partial of land down to the bits of gravel on the lot. But when I try to do something in my area, everything is all fuzzy. Do I take it that our area is blocked out and we have to buy it? If so, that's OK...I don't have a problem doing that but did you every try to navigate through the google earth web site? I spent 1/ hour there and left more confused than ever! They don't have phone support. (I suppose cause of guys like me!!)

Any suggestions?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

In the high density areas they may have better pixs. I think Google has a paid version of it too.

3. PLCI

PLCI Member
    from Maine

Try MSN's live search maps. The aerial shots are not the best but click on the birds eye view. You can't save the image but you can take a screen shot and copy it to a word document. Then crop the image on the document. Let me know if you have any problems.

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

population density is a general rule of thumb, the more people the better the image clarity. as time passes you'll find the info getting better. just make sure the image is current enough, sometimes the image can be a couple of years old and not contain new construction.

if your doing resi's try googles street view if available. thats some crazy stuff.

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I have yet to see anything beat www.maps.live.com
    It has great views of my area, pop- 18k, and even out where I hunt, pop- like, 500, those pictures are also great, I can even pick out the tree in the woods I hunt in.

Thats why im suprised to see very little people using it, everyone uses them blurry google images.

6. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with the maps.live.com, far better than any other i've seen, although they dont have the town i hunt in, i wanted to see if i could see my treestand :cry:

7. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

yeah. that is good. looking at msn live now. Thanks for the post.
    But you cants save the image????????

8. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

I couldn't get any good shots of our area. I even went to San Francisco and couldn't get the buildings...just the streets. Oh well, I thought I would try to get the aerial views of some of the places I plow for my new guys. No such luck. Thanks for the help!

9. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

MSN Live is the best one out there.

10. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Good call Jeff, I checked it out and it worked very well.:salute:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  11. Double C

Double C Member
    from Montana

For where i live in montana it's the same pic taken the same day mid sept 2005 on both sites no difference on clearty or zoom

12. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Works on the site I gave, just click 'Birds Eye' once you get what you want on there.

13. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

print screen - ms paint - save.