1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Goodyear Silent Armor

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Novadiecast, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

I need tires and would like the Goodyear Silent Armor tires that I have heard so much about. While doing some searching online I discovered that they come in two series. The normal and the Pro-Grade. They both have the exact same warranty and load ratings so .....What is the difference and which ones do I want?????? The standard ones are 667.00 installed and the Pro Grade costs 875.00 installed. That is for a 265/75/16 for my GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Shortbed with a 6.0 liter. Any help is appreciated.

2. mcginner

mcginner Junior Member

What do you get from 365 used condoms?????

A GOOD YEAR tire

This joke isn't just funny but true. Every Goodyear I see come into my shop has a broken side or a cut that can't be repaired. I have seen much better tires that last a lot long with better traction then a Goodyear.

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

mcginner: I would like to know what you are talking about. I have had four sets of them now, never once had an issue. Not to mention, you get a free warranty out of them. Full rate for anything other then road hazard. Pro rate for road hazard, and free roadside.

Nova: unsure of the series....I was only given Load range, and raised white lettering for choices. Here is a pic on my 06 Ford with them. I hauled a 26' trailer all the time and they took the abuse of overloading with no signs or damage. There a sweet tire, quiet, rugged, and awesome in the mud & snow. Nothing but good things out of these sneakers!

150.jpg

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I HATE these tires. I'm on my second set. The first set was shot at about 3-4k miles. One had a slipped belt and all four were at the wear bar. Now, my current set has about 7k on them and they are at about 2/32" and will be warrantied out like the first set. These are also the pro-grade. I would hate to see the "regular grade". I've picked up more nails and such with these tires than any set in my life. I will be going back to Bridgestone Revos. BTW, I got almost 85k out of my OE Bridgestone Duravis M773's.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  5. RepoMan207

from Maine

wow, that sucks.

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I have the progrades on my truck. They held the weight in the bed and pulling the trailer just fine. Excellent wet traction and great snow traction too. They have 6k on them now and have not one sign of wear. Just remember to keep them rotated every 6k. That will help extend the life of them as well as keeping the tires properly inflated.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

goodyears spin like junk. balence with tons of weight. and we have warrentyed tons of the new silent armors for tread life warrenty.

bfg/cooper/f/s anything other than badyears.

8. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I'll give you that mine only last 30,00 they said 60,000 k but they will buy them back & I like them . I run a pallet in the bed & a dump so i do have weight . they are good tires for me tho .

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  9. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

I have them on my truck and they will not last anywhere near 50k they said. Mine have 15k and are half worn and also had big problems getting them balanced. Maybe if you never load up your truck and only drive on the highway you will get 50k out of them but if you work your truck be ready to change them in 30k. I'm not very happy with the tires and hoping they stand by there warranty when they wear out next year. Going to get coopers next time.

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

Oh Stop it.......I worked the hell out of all 3 sets of mine, and I got between 49k to 61k on all of them. They weren't even bald when I swaped them out either. Maybe you need a lesson in tire pressure or something.

11. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

Dont be a smart a$$ because I know what pressure to run them and rotate them every oil change which is about 4k. The tires wear very quick and if I get 30k out of them I'll be lucky. I'm not the only one with this problem, goodyear should check there work better because it's either you get tires that last 50-60k or tires that are crap in 30-35k.

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

Like I said you probably need a lesson in tire pressure.

13. mcginner

mcginner Junior Member

Hey Repoman are you one of those wrecker operators that drink and drive and just throw a J hook under the vehicle to pull it. You around the exhaust or trailing arm because you really sound like an idiot defending goodyear. Go back to the junkyard where you belong.

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

oh....I'm the idiot. Because I have had good results with those particular Good Years? You have your opinion, I have mine. Simple as that. I am not a wrecker operator you ignorant fart, I am licensed & bonded repossession agent. Its the stupid grease monkeys like you I would rather wrap that j hook you fondly know so much about and wrap it around your neck rather then talk to you.

15. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

Yes you have your opinion and I didn't say that you lieing but some of us have our opinion that they wear out too fast. Don't make it seem like were stupid and don't know what preasure to run in our tires and you won't get rude comments back.

16. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Some tires no matter what kind will wear faster than others. I had Kumhos before these and they were garbage at 17k miles. I kept the pressure pristine and rotated them too. They had no issue balancing these tires, I watched them put them on and everything.

17. Diesel Sniffer

Diesel Sniffer Member

I have had the Goodyear Silent Armor Pro-Grade and BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO's on one particular truck. I can say this between the two: The BFG's did last me longer than the Goodyears. About 25,000 longer to be exact. I also felt that the Goodyears had alot of play in the sidewalls, and yes both tires had the same sidewall rating and I ran the same constant pressures in both sets. It seemed to cause extra "play" in the steering, and the truck liked to wander more than with the BFG's. That being said, the Goodyears did have excellent grip in the snow for plowing, but so did the BFG's. As with most things, if you can get the better deal with the Goodyears, I wouldn't hesitate and buying them and I think you'll be satisfied. If it were me and money was not as much of an issue, I'd go with the BFG's. I think you'd be very happy, just keep them rotated to prevent excess noise. I will be buying another set of BFG's myself.

18. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I will agree on the sidewalls flexing too easily it seems and the truck does like to wander around a bit now. When these do wear out, BFG AT KO's will be put on. Had em before, but the Goodyears had a better deal going

19. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

simoncx,

Did you make sure you bought the correct load rating? I'm new to tire science and I was blown away when I found out there could be 4 or 5 different versions of the SAME tire. The only difference was speed/load ratings......

food for thought,
    beatle78

20. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

Today, I ordered Cooper Discovery ATR 265/75/16E. I got a friend that can get Cooper and Got them for under 600.00 installed. Plus Cooper Has a 50.00 rebate right now.