1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Goodwrench engines

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 75gmck25, Nov 23, 2003.

1. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

I've been considering some performance mods for my K25 w/350, but the engine is old (original '75 vintage, HD emissions) and I may want to rebuild/replace the block before I try to boost performance very much.

The Goodwrench shortblock engines look like a good deal, considering they are new blocks. The basic shortblock with heads is about $1200US, and you can get the HP version with Vortec heads for about $2300US.

For a 4x4 truck, would the Vortec-equipped HP block make sense if you got the right cam to go with it? GMC has a 330 hp version of the Vortec-equipped block that includes the cam, manifold and carburetor, but I assume its tuned more for the rpm of a car than a truck.

Anybody used the Goodwrench engines and had good/bad results?

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have installed several of them, all with good results. Alot cheaper than rebuilding.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

either gm rebuilt or jasper
    both have great warranties
    jasper has engines specfic for towing or 4wheeling
  4. racebannon

racebannon Junior Member
    from seattle

I just installed a gm goodwrench crate engine last weekend in my 1980 3/4 ton gmc pickup. Its a long block, not a short block, includes the valve train, oil pan, valve covers, timing chain cover, and oil pump.

I paid $1200 + $100 core from a local gm dealer for a 350 cu in engine with a 4 bolt main. Brand spanking new engine, runs like a top, why mess around with a rebuilt shortblock for $300 less? And if it fails within 3 years, the dealer will install the new engine themselves, no additional work for me.

I'm happy as a clam, my truck drives like a new rig. Good luck.
  5. loomis

loomis Junior Member

i have a rebuilt 305 in my 1993 half ton. it seems to run fine, it just doesnt have the punch of a 350:realmad:
  6. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I would stay with the older iron. It will more than likely have a very high nickle content and 4 bolt mains. A stock rebuild is not a lot of money to have done. Use the older block and find a machine shop to do the work.