1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Goodwrench engine blunder

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by KK, Feb 15, 2001.

1. KK

KK Member

Went to put an oil filter on my new Goodwrench 350 and to my surprize, there is no threaded nipple coming out of the block. There aren't even threads there to put one in!

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 Member

there should be 2 holes in block where you can bolt the filter adapter to it. it is a seperate piece you can take it off your old block if you still have it or get one at the dealer i would check block to see if the holes are there i am not sure if you are saying that there is no holes to bolt it to. you do have a bad one if there are no holes to bolt the adapter to.

[Edited by 4x4k20 on 02-15-2001 at 09:40 PM]

3. KK

KK Member

Yes, there are 2 tapped holes up there that look like 1/4" thread. Thanks for letting me know about the adaptor. You'd think someone would have mentioned it when I bought it....oh well.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Hope you didnt turn in your core yet!I did that once too, now i never turn in cores until the job is done.

5. 4x4k20

4x4k20 Member

gm has been building them 350s for a long time i didnt think that they would let one slip by without them bolt holes for the filter adapter

6. KK

KK Member

The old engine is still in the truck, but I want to keep it in tact as much as possible to save it for a builder engine someday. Looks like this is another dealer item.

7. KK

KK Member

I got the oil filter adapter from the dealer (PN 3952301). There is a pressure release valve as part of the casting. Does it matter what orientation should be when bolting this to the block, and should there be any sealant used? (I think not because there is a tiny ridge that protrudes all around the casting. I thought I'd locktite the bolts in. Does anyone have recommendations for installing this?