1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good year to buy a plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mwhodder89, Jan 1, 2014.

1. mwhodder89

mwhodder89 Junior Member

What a good year to buy a plow! I read lots of people say once they bought their plow, it didnt snow all winter. That certainly isnt the case here, CapeBreton, Nova Scotia. I havent seen a winter with this much snow as long as I can remember. So far in December, we had 11 storms receiving over 140 cms or roughly 60 inches. All of last year there was 18 total snow events and around 80 inches of snow. We are expected to get another 6 storms in the next two weeks and who knows what the rest of the winter will bring. All I know, is I am sure glad im not doing it all with a snow blower and shovel! And so far the old 93 chevy 1500 with the fisher ht plow is being put to the test an holding up and working great.

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear, keep the snow there !

3. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

We've had a lot of snow here as well. A total of 8 plowable events so far. 20" give or take of snow. A lot of 1-1.5" storms which are easy to plow. Our bigger was 4" on christmas eve.

4. mwhodder89

mwhodder89 Junior Member

Good to hear your getting snow too. Im glad i decided to stick with per push pricing instead of seasonal. Lots of companies around here are going to be in trouble as they usually base seasonal prices on 15 to 18 plowable events. As for snowfall amounts, most of our snows are usually 4-6 inches, but our first storm on dec 11 was 16 inches. We got 4" of snow here on Christmas too, as well as christmas eve and boxing day. Ohwell, keep it coming!

5. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Don't listen to SnowGuy, all his crap is on contract.

6. mwhodder89

mwhodder89 Junior Member

I dont blame him, if i was all contract, i wouldnt want any snow either. However, since im not, i hope all the snow continues as we are currently getting a blizzard, expecting 12 inches with blowing snow, drifting and zero visibility. Luckily, its all powder and should be some easy stuff to plow compared to the slushy, wet stuff we have been getting all season.

7. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

No, by all means, blame him! He deserves it! :D

Good luck with the storm!

8. Hotfeet

Hotfeet Member

Feel free to share a little with the West coast. All my plows have only watched 1 snow flurry this year! Just send a little please!!!

9. mwhodder89

mwhodder89 Junior Member

Hopefully you get some snow soon! It has been non stop here, we are getting another 3-4 inches overnight. Over the next two weeks, we are expected to get another 5 plowable events averaging 4 inches a storm. Luckily its staying pretty cold (-20 C with the windchill), so the snow is staying light and powdery and easy to push. With it being so cold and barely any snow melting, lots of people are calling to have banks moved and driveways made wider. This may give me the reason to buy a skidsteer, instead of renting one or subbing it out. The skidsteer would allow me to expand my customer base as I am pretty much full with my one truck and help with my landscaping business in the summer. Guess ill have to do some searching on here regarding skids.