1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

good work truck?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by blackdog1, Oct 24, 2003.

1. blackdog1

blackdog1 Junior Member

I have a chance at what appears to be a really nice 1980 K30 single rear. It has a 400 small block with 56,000 original miles. Motor seems tight. I have heard to stay away from the 400 small block because of block cracking problems. Is this true? Cab is real solid and my old 8ft speedcaster would bolt right on to it. I really want this truck but don't want motor problems. This truck will be worked fairly hard so I'm a little worried. Is this rumor about the 400 a old wives tale or should I steer clear? Thanks for any advice/ info in advance. GREAT SITE by the way, very happy to have found it.

2. TomatoRedGMC

TomatoRedGMC Member

Blackdog,
    I haven't heard of block cracking problems before with the 400. I would actually like to get one myself with so few miles on it, as i do some hauling myself with my truck.....maybe someone else can offer a different opinion, but i think that motor is great....my uncle has a 79 with a 400, and it has been good to him....as the old saying goes, talk care of her and she'll take care of you.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

BUY IT ! :D

Don't worry about the 400.They have siamesed cylinder walls,so they had a few problems with head gaskets if run hot,but other that that,they are fine.Good strong powerful motors.Nice truck too.I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

4. blackdog1

blackdog1 Junior Member

I just call the guy and will be putting down payment on it at lunch time. Thanks for the info guys. Now does anyone know the stock specs on a 1980 400 small block. I think it is a 2 bolt but not sure. Any info would be great really just looking for stock hp/torque specs. Thanks.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Should be a 2 bolt 185 HP,300 Ft\Lbs.80 was the last year it was available.