1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by CecilSnowman, Feb 9, 2012.

1. CecilSnowman

CecilSnowman Junior Member

Well, I have been reading this Forum for years as a gest and have finally decided to register, due to the wealth of Knowledge I have picked up, being how young I am and am Starting to do my own Snow Plowing. I have been Doing Snow in some capacity for about 5 years shoveling for a friends dad's commercial cmpany in Wilmingtn DE, and of course shoveling a few driveways here and there. Im Only 20 and this year I am finally starting my own business, and have a few small contracts. So anyway, with the lack o f snow this year a few people I know are trying hard to Move Snow Products due to the horrible winter for us Snw Contracters. And I am In the Market for a good Walk Behind Salt Spreader which is for a fair pricve. My Boss has a set of Walkbehinds that arent too bad but there getting up there. He recently rebuilt them with a frame made out of PVC pipe lol.

Anyways Like I said Im looking for a good Spreader for a decent price and reccomendations, I know especially when it comes to snow, you get what you pay for, so I look forward to posting on this site and gaining more knowledge due to my young age from people that have been doing it long before I was born!!!
  2. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

Earth-way high output spreader or a salt dog wb spreader.
  3. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

I pick up three or four(for a twelve man crew) Scotts spreaders @ Lowes or Home ghetto every other year for about 50 bucks apiece.If you take good care of them( wash and spray w WD40 or fluid film after each event) they should last as long as the more expensive models, or close to it, for a 1/4 of the price. I like the ones with the spread shield as most of my walks are only 4ft wide and we can control the area spread much more efficiently. The shield is adjustable for full area spread if needed. Good luck with your business ventures and welcome to the fellowship of the miserable.
  4. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

NO! whatever you do dont get a saltdog walk behind they are really peaces of ****.... I had one i ran 5 bags through it before the frame was snapped and the wheel was locking up... I brought it back to the place of purchase and he gladly swapped it out for a snow-ex, he said that he had multiple peiple bring them back, with the same issue
  5. targetlawn25

targetlawn25 Junior Member
    from ct

Do not get a salt dog walk behind . . . I have yet to find a product that will flow through mine. It is brand new: (3) storms and yet to see it throw a product for more than 10 feet before it bridges/ jams what ever.

I also have a(new) hitch mount salt dog spreader/sander with a vibrator, auger. Spinner.
    It's new installed by salt dog authorized tech's and it constantly doesn't spread throwing codes that indicate fuse problems "f" and "h" shorts in harness, "p" spinner motor issue.
    My point: Wow the fuse looks fine to me . . Make up your mind computer what is the issue?
    I know bring it back to the dealer . . . Like i want to make another appointment to sit there for 4 hours when both products are brand new!!!!

Very, very dissatisfied.

Called their tech support:

"it's wet products that are the fault" . . . . Yeah that's easy to say.
    I keep them in an enclosed trailer and only put them in like 1/2 hour before i use them.

How about the salt dog equipment is terrible. My hitch mount spreader works about 1 out of every 6 times i turn it on.

I have to turn it on and off about 4 times to get product to spread every time.
    When you run out of material codes are supposed to tell you your empty . . .i've yet to see that function work.

Yes i know bring it back to the dealer.
    I will when i have 4 hours to sit around waiting, like the day i had it installed.

Like were not busy in our hussle and bussle business.
    We want to return with brand new products that do not work at all.
    I spent over $2,000.00 and i would love to just get my money back for these terrbile products.

Just my 2 cents.
  6. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

Spyker Stainless Steel

I would say Lesco but their 3 hole design isn't the best for rock salt. I have spread tons and tons of fertilizer with my lesco spreader in the past 10 years and it still works like it did when new and it looks good. I haven't had to replace and parts on it. It has even fallen off my truck twice while going down the road.

I have only had Spyker spreaders on my Z spray and they work just as good if not better than the Lesco. The Spyker has a huge opening that would work good for rock salt.
  7. stoneexc2

stoneexc2 Member

we have 2 meyers hotshots with stainless frames and on is going on 4 years I think they work great and haven't had a problem with it feeding as long as we took the mesh screen out of the bottom
  8. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I'm running a Meyers hotshot HD for my walk crew as well. Great spreader, pull the screen out of the bottom and it spreads bulk, bagged, and Clearlane just fine. Stainless frame, grease jerks on the bearings, good quality poly hopper, and pneumatic tires all make for a good reliable unit. The stainless shield can be a little noisy, but that's a very minor gripe. We also use it for fertilizer apps in the summer. It's 5 or 6 years old now and works and looks like it did the day I bought it. Thumbs Up
  9. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I never put the mesh back in after I took it out last year. I put a couple of tonne a month through mine and it works great. I spray a dab of fluid film on it every other time I use it otherwise the gears will skip. I was dissapointed to see it had plastic gears in it. For what I paid for it they should of been something solid.

Maybe the skipping version is better, I dunno :)