1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

good walk behind spreaders???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rob_cook2001, Oct 30, 2011.

1. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Guys I am looking for some good walk behind spreaders. The company I sub for has tried a few kinds and have crap luck with them all. For the past 2 years they have been using cheep ($30) fertalizer spreaders and I am tired of my shovelers breaking them. They told me to tell them what I want and they will get me some of them. So tell me how to spend there money LOL.
    On my two sites we put down 40-80 bags of mag on the walks each storm.
    What would you guys go with?
  2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I picked up the snowway last year and was very happy!
  3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

If money is no issue, get stainless steel.

FWIW Rob, I have a few Earthways and a dozen or more cheap scott spreaders. It seems like I replace a couple of the cheap scott spreaders each yr. Works for me.
    Personally, I cant see buying a $300+ spreader for my walk guys....but if someone else would Thumbs Up
  4. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Check out the Lesco fert spreaders (well deere bought out lesco so it might be john deere landscapes brand) theyre stainless and I've had great luck spreading salt with them.
  5. iceman1

iceman1 Senior Member

guys check out my prices on earthway. I wholesale these thngs and they are the top of the line snow ones. www.obersons.com get with me if you have any questions. chad@obersons.com
  6. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

What spreader do you recommend for salting? And, how much do they cost? Do you ship?

7. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

We mostly use the salt dogg spreader I picked up on a late night ebay spree. It is sort of a piece, but it works and has knock down flaps. If we were spreading that kind of volume i would add flaps to our Permagreen. What about an ATV with a nice spreader. That could reduce labor costs quite a bit.
  8. iceman1

iceman1 Senior Member

I am a saltdogg dealer. I am not a fan. they make a awesome drop spreader but price is way up there. On the Earthway I would buy a 2040 or the 2130. make sure you buy the blue hoppers they will put down the product much better. see pricing at bottom of link
  9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I agree. The reason is because of the feed gate shape...."1 large adjustable opening", instead of 2 or 3 "tear drop shapes" like many other brands I've seen. The 2130 is my favorite.
  10. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

We have a Shindaiwa single hole spreader that rocks for lots of things, but has trouble with starter mulch, and is not any better with salt. Can someone with a 2130 tell me how large the opening is for comparison. I would buy 1 just for starter mulch application, A plus if you can manage treated salt too.
  11. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

If you want the best spreader go with the Epoke mini. You can't beat the patten it drops nor how stingy they are with the product. Broadcast spreaders are not worth the cheap price unless there is no vegetation on either side of the sidewalk. Even with the flaps you will be contaminating the turf or landscape.

Another great choice is the SnowEx drop spreader.
  12. iceman1

iceman1 Senior Member

Epoke makes a great spreader for most walks. The olny thing i do not like about it that most of my building that have a lot of walks are office and most of the walks are 5' top 7' wide and the Epoke is only 30" at best I would say. A 30" drop spreader is great for condo and HOA work but on high end Class A office you need a broadcast spreader. If you have major vegitation issues start using Mag Cloride. I sell it for $12.50 a bag if you get full loads or $13.50 if you just want 1 pallet.
  13. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Meyer looks like they make a good spreader. Their drop spreader looks a little wider than Salt Dogg and Snow Ex.
  14. iceman1

iceman1 Senior Member

That saltdogg spreader takes up the whole van. I think it is at least 36". It works good but just to bulky
  15. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Just got a price on the Meyer drop spreader of $775. Sounds pretty high, more even than the SnowEx. Think we will be getting a Salt Dogg drop spreader this year and I will let you know how it works.
  16. iceman1

iceman1 Senior Member

just buy a earthway off me you will be happy!! Chad 513-678-1597
  17. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Drop spreader

I like the Snowex drop spreader very well. Flows great and easy to push. So easy a girl can do it. Just teasing. Seriously, our team members love them and no waste.

Drop spreader 2.jpg
  18. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 Junior Member

We use Earthway spreaders and have no regrets.
  19. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

What is the warranty on these?
  20. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

I got tired of twisting and rotting out cheap spreaders. 3 years ago lesco had a sale on their stainless 100lb walk behind spreaders. I bought 4 of them for my guys and all of them are like the day I bought them after putting 10 pallets of salt, mag and cal through them. The have two bars running up to the handle and it makes all the different in the world.