1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

good two stage snow blower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BossPlowGuy04, Dec 27, 2009.

1. BossPlowGuy04

BossPlowGuy04 Senior Member
    from novi Mi

whats a good 2 stage snow blower?
    thanks
    alex

2. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

I have a 27" Craftsman with hydrostatic transmission & power steering. It's perfect for my house, not too big so that my wife can use it when I am out of town. It has the same 305cc engine as most 30" models, so it throws really well.

My brother-in-law has a 30" Commercial grade Columbia, with power steering but a regular transmission, it has a really powerful 357cc engine and it throws really far. Very rugged, excellent build quality (better than my Craftsman), but more expensive. I find that 1st gear on his machine is a faster walk than what I do with the hydrostatic on mine.

I find that the auger & turbine speed on the Columbia are superior to my Craftsman, but the difference might just be the engine HP & Torque.

My Craftsman has 10HP and 13.5 ft/lbs of torque.
    His Columbia has 11.5HP (I don't know how much Torque).

3. briggsguy17

briggsguy17 Member
    from NW PA

Simplicity, Ariens and Honda. All the rest are just toys. I see you are in Michigan, if you get a lot of snow in your area I would recommend one of the three I previously mentioned even if only for home use. When looking for one compare the size and construction of the auger gearbox, the make of the engine, the thickness of the auger housing material, the thickness of the skid shoes, etc...... you will see a big difference between manufacturers. Also consider parts and service,do you have any dealers close by? There are basically two big players in the outdoor power equipment arena for snow blower, MTD and AYP/EHP. MTD makes the following brands, Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, Bolens, Yard Machine, Yard Man, Huskee, White, MTD Pro and of course MTD. These units are virtually identical to each other save for paint and stickers. AYP or EHP (Electrolux) makes these ones, Husqvarna, Sears, Poulan, Poulan Pro and a few others, again virtually identical but for stickers and paint. I have been in the outdoor power equipment business for many years and can tell you that the brands that stood for quality years ago now stand for profit and sub par performance. Do some research on line and you will see the difference. If you find a certain model that you are interested in let me know, if I am familiar with it I will tell you what I know. :nod:

4. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Toros are good as well, just make sure you purchase one from a dealer not home depot or lowes...even the john deeres, toros, husqvarnas from those stores are cheaper versions of the real ones

5. BossPlowGuy04

BossPlowGuy04 Senior Member
    from novi Mi

thanks guys this will be for my house and im thinking i may use it at a condo unit i plow "not sure yet"

6. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

I just wanna say spend a little extra, and get one with more than one speed. If it has 1 gear, its super slow! My dad has one, and it has one speed, and it sucks having to go slow all the time...

7. OldCrow

OldCrow Member

We have a Honda tracked 2 stage. With hydro drive. What a beauty of a machine. It took this 20" of snow we just had without blinking an eye. We've had it for a few years now and never had any problems with it.

8. larrylaverne

larrylaverne Member
    from ill.

don't discount the new john deere (dealer bought). i've got the 30inch cut;, cast iron gear box with added support bar; 4 blade steel impeller;1550 series snow max briggs;heated grip; tested it on 20 inch wet/salted snow berms left by the city and yes it took em out. sure glad i didn't buy a single stage.

9. briggsguy17

briggsguy17 Member
    from NW PA

Don't let the green paint fool you. John Deere does not now, nor have they ever made their own snow blowers. Their current models are built by either Simplicity or Ariens. I believe that they are Simplicity's though. Ariens built blowers for Deere years ago and before that they were built by Frontier snow equipment. If you are going with a premium brand go with one that has a servicing dealer close by. Hope this helps.

10. sanitaire

sanitaire Junior Member

my honda hs724 has been good too me. hyrdrostatic track drive, 7hp OHV honda commerical engine and lots of sheer pins in the front end so if ya hit stuffm there is no harm done too the engine. spendy 2,000 bucks 7 years ago...

11. larrylaverne

larrylaverne Member
    from ill.

i accept the fact jd don't make their own snowblower. it still has to be made to jd specs. take your typical ford chev dodge truck, there is a lot of outside suppliers involved.example; glass, tires, paint etc.etc.etc.you are right though,a good servicing dealer is key, and for my 1500 bucks for above mentioned blower i wouldn't take it back. let it snow!!!! lol

12. kj330

kj330 Member

the jd is the same as an ariens. down to every nut and bolt. i just bought 3 ariens today and compared side by side..

13. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

Look into Larue, Pronovost, Normand, Vohl.... all pretty good blowers!

14. JohnMeyer

JohnMeyer Member

One more time! John Deere 1130 is a great machine when purchased from a dealer. After 26 years on a Deere 826 clearing multiple driveways with very few problems, why buy anything else?

15. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

My JD 1128 may be an Ariens with green paint. That doesn't bother me one bit. Because there is absolutely nothing wrong with either company. They provide great products and have an awesome track record with customer service. A plowsite member recently broke his shift rod on his Ariens. They're sending him a new one free of charge no questions asked. JD is just as good if not better with their customer service and warranty.

I'm very happy with my JD/Ariens 1128. I cut through a 3 foot tall, 3 foot thick frozen berm left by the city crew on a walk I clear on Sunday. The JD went through it without a fuss. I was jockeying it around, up and down, hogging it out. I was treating it more like a tiller than a blower. It was hardcore work that would have killed a non-commercial blower. Didn't even loose a shear pin and it was shooting ice chunks. It has 6 forward gears, lock/unlockable 2WD, 2 reverse speeds, heated hand grips, cable controlled deflector, and cast iron gear box. Lots of grease zerks too, which is nice to keep it up and running.

16. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Doesn't it say a lot of t Ariens and JD for teaming up. JD wanted to provide the best blower to their customers at the best price. Instead of spending the money on designing their own, they selected the best manufacturer to produce a product for them to their high expectations.

17. larrylaverne

larrylaverne Member
    from ill.

fiist, i am not against ariens i almost bought one but the dealer is 25 miles away.i said i got the john deere 30 inch cut. ariens dont make a 30 inch cut. the john deere has a steel support rod from the cast iron gearbox to the top of housing. the ariens does not. the john deere runs a 4 blade impeller unlike the 3 blade on the ariens the john deere runs the briggs snow series max engine where the ariens (i think) just runs the snow series engine. sorry i fail to see that every nut and bolt is the same on the two units. again i have nothing against ariens or simplicity, for that matter, which by the way i went to the simplicity dealer and he dont sell their own snowblower.!!! he would sell me a toro though.

18. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Are you sure about that?
    [​IMG]

19. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Slightly different than my 1128 JD. But in less ways than they are similar.

20. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

i use an older 8hp ariens works great. the older one are made way better than the new ones. i like how the older snowblowers shoots are much wider than the new ones
    hears a pic of a gilson i worked on and brought back to life. bought for $30 sold it for $100

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

PICT0011.jpg