1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good strictly plowing 05+ F350 tires?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I have stock ford 18x8" wheels, need tires "badly".I'd rather a nicer highway tire for all year round, towing almost constantly and hauling loads... like a Nitto dura grappler -highway tire, load E.

For plowing even new "highway tires just suck".

I've always wanted the ford 05+ stock 5 spoke 20s, ill probably get them this summer, and use them for spring/summer/fall wheels/tires with highway tires and switch to my stock 18s with a real rugged tire for snow.

I know everyone said mud tires suck, but theyre knobby. I DO care about life/sound/grip etc all year, but if its only for the winter, ill go as aggressive as i can that will help plowing on slippery surfaces, ice, and even mud in case a truck slid off a road and had to get back on a few feet away with a plow and 2-4000lbs of salt in back.

Id need a 275-285 75-70 18 Load E tire like a new Bridgestone Dueler a/t, Nitto Terra Grappler, BFG All Terrains?, or Goodyear silent armor type.

Any others? The nitto is probably most aggressive, any other options? not much in these truck sizes even though theres 5 million trucks these days with similar sizes :/

2. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

bf Goodrich all terrians great all year tires long life no sound great tread for plowing best tire ive ever owned i run 285/75's on my f-250 i love em plowing and even better since i dont have to switch em out at the end of the season there also great in the mud lol

3. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's 35's they wear great, silent for all the tread they have, they plow great. I drive around in storms in 2wd . I got 2 years of plowing out of mine,trying to finish this year off them. I will be buying the same tire again.

4. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

what you mean the conti-tracs are no good lol
    i need some better tires as well

5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I plow with the Bridgestone dueler Revos. They have preety good traction although I still think the BFG all terrains are a little more agressive and probably grip better.

6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

lol so you understand how bad they are when the rears are way past the wear bars and the fronts are at the wear bars then :p They sucked when i first drove in the snow with 6500 miles on the damn thing new! My 91 F150 5.0L truck with 800lbs near the tailgate hardly spins the bridgestone duelers in packed snow.. my 06 f350 with plow and 3000lbs of salt spins all 4 of those contis.. they lasted long time though, almost 39k, mostly hard trailering miles.

7. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I also run a set of BFG All Terrains and love them. I have had them on every truck i have ever owned and have never had a problem. I run 265/75/16 on my 2500 hd and they are very quiet on the highway and great in the snow. Last set i got about 45k out of them, daily driving, towing the boat, and plowing. good luck!

8. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i agree, the continental contitracs are WORTHLESS in snow! add to that diesel torque and i just spin. i use alot more fuel b/c im in 4x4 about 90% of the time. im looking for the 08+ 20" rims to use as a summer tire and i want to put a set of winter tires on my stock 18". ive been looking hard at the nitto terra grapplers. any other suggestions?

9. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

i use toyo all terrain on my excursion, there ride great during the summer and i do alot of towing. traction hasn't been a problem in the snow ever. i have only had them for about 10,000 miles so i don't know how they last.

10. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I'll be the devils advocate.

I have never wished to or needed to have better tires. I do everything from steep residential(nothing super crazy) to big lots. All my trucks have basic, run of the mills tires. Decent ones for sure but not great. I plowed on those contitracs for 2 full winters and the second winter they were getting bald. Hardly ever broke traction. Plenty of ballast in 1 ton trucks. Does anyone agree with me or am I nuts?

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Contis should be outlawed in any state with rain or snow.

For strictly plowing, Cooper M&S, but they don't come in 18's.

Haven't tried the Nittos, but the BFG's are good. Not as good as Coopers, but good.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Cooper Discoverer M+S

get rid of the 18's...;)

13. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

no thank you!! finally moved up out those crappy 16" from chevy too much sidewall, and flex.
    agreed.

not calling you a liar at all, but heres my situation. i have approximately 700lbs of ballast tucked against the back tailgate and there have been times when i needed to use 4x4 just to pull into my driveway which has maybe a 2* grade to it with a dusting of snow.

14. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  15. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

bfg commercial t/a's im not sure what sizes the come in. but thats what asw on my truck when i bought it and i like em.

16. rnolloth

rnolloth Junior Member

I personally think Coopers suck.I would go Bfg's all the way

17. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

My dad use to run Goodyear Suburbanites back in the 1970's on his jeep pickup and they were great in the snow.Found the same tread on Dick Cepek Fun Country II .Bought them last year and they seem pretty good.

18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Time to throw some poo.

Coopers are far and away a much better tire for strictly plowing. I have run both on my truck now and the BFG's are a close second on snow, but not on ice. The Coopers are a softer compound and will grab ice much better than the BFG's.

19. Bruce

Bruce Junior Member

I had the same problem finding tires for the 18s. I also looked at the Bridgestone Dueler a/t, Nitto Terra Grappler, BFG All Terrains. Price wise I decided on these: http://www.herculestire.com/catalogHercules/herculesTT_AT.asp
    So far I love them. Not much info on them on the internet, but you can go through some real deep snow with them.

20. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

My 07 f-350 came with 18'' BFG. rugged trail t/a's. I really like them, but then again if they come on the truck I use them. I run custom tires/wheeles in the summer so they only see snow. I don't know what they cost but for daily driving/plowing they work great!

just my $.02 , shaun