1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good source for battery cabling?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kaptain_Kurt, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

My battery cables are old and corroded. Headlights go out and radio shuts down every time I move my plow up or down. I can see the blue corrosion all over on the bare parts of the cables, they are trashed. I have a dual battery setup and need a few custom lengths. Any ideas on where I can get some 'make-your-own-length' cables?

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Farm n Fleet, NAPA, AutoZone. You can get length you want and crimp your own ends.

Go BIG!
  4. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

nearest welding shop you maybe able to get a chunk of
    old leads or welders supply
    i made mine from orange 1/0 welding cable soldered lugs
    crimping is ok indoors but under hood solder is the only way to go

5. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I just wish I could find a place to put a second battery on my 95 ford, without taking out the windshield washer resovoir. I suppose I could put it in the cab with me, but I'd rather not.
  6. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

just get a deep cycle marine bat 1100cca or similar
    that should fix you up

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Places like AutoZone / Advance has the cable ends to make your own cables, try to solder them, you get a better contact and amp flow that way. Just use a propane torch to heat the cable & ends up,use rosin core solder.

Gt Racer 50 I do believe the duel Ford battery setups have the pouch type reservoir that goes inside the fender area or the real low frame mount like the vans. See if a junk yard has a truck with it. I have had the same thought, mine has the area that the second battery goes too / 89 F-250.
  8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Very important- if you don;t regularly clean your termals this will happen again. Clean them with baking soda and water (lots of water) then buy a can of terminal spray from any auto parts store and spray the terminals. It helps prevent the corrosion and neutrlizes any acid you missed. It's a red spray that foams on contact with acid. Every time you disconnect a battery terminal CLEAN it before re connecting it and spray it immediatly after.
  9. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

the right tool

Same as mickirig1 and I bought a cable end crimper at a marine place. you place the cable in the cable terminal and wack it with a hammer, this crimps it then I hit it with a torch and let the solder flow into the end. and top it off with liquid electrical tape or shrink tube and it is done. any length and you can even think about the direction of the terminal twist to make it all line up. autozone sells the cable crimp ons. I have used these on a 9000 pound winch and it worked great no heat/corrosion problems.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2005