1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

good snow thrower for starters?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mikefromny, Oct 14, 2006.

1. mikefromny

mikefromny Junior Member
    from 11572

any brand good , i know landscaping like the back of my hand and equitment , but when it comes to snow .. i know nothing , im in the new york area , small properties i need a realible snow thrower/blower anybody have any suggestions , nothing huge like maybe 21-24 inch path clearing , id appreciate any feedback thanks

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

ariens 8526...$1099

3. mikefromny

mikefromny Junior Member
    from 11572

what about quads are they reliable for snow removal , i seen some people use them to take out driveways in my area , im in ny area so our houses and driveways are alot smaller than in most of your areas i can imagine some rural areas the type of **** you guys use xysport

4. LB1234

LB1234 Member

TORO 3650 single stage snowthrower.

Gas mixture can be a pain but if you are in landscaping you already have it readily available. We have the pull-start. Weights about 50#'s so it can be taken in and out of a pickup/SUV by one person. Handle will fold down for easier storage in off season or to fit in the back of an SUV. Rubber paddles clear to the sidewalk/pavement in all types of conditions. It can handle 8" of snow with almost no problem...of course you can't run as fast with it. the 20" clearing width will enable you to do up to 36" sidewalks in two passes....one down and one back. Ran us about 650 three years ago. We are purchasing a 2nd one this fall so we can have one in each truck.

Thing is three years old and I kid you not that the darn thing started on the third pull about a month ago. Of course I treat the gas at the end of the year and again in mid-summer. So its not just sitting there. If I recall there is a one year warranty and some kind of guarantee to start for three year warranty. Don't ask. In other words its simple to start.

We love the weight versus power versus cost. It works well for us.

5. zmowing

zmowing Junior Member

Toro has my vote.It's small and one mean snow blower.

6. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

I have a question about single stages. How does it handle really heavy snow? My new next door neighbor and I were visiting about it. We live on a emergancy snow route. 2" trigger. They clear curb to curb. Would a single stage handle what is plowed into a driveway quite well?

I have a single stage and a dual stage lined up, along with a shoevel(sp). This winter I will be doing residental sidewalks and drive ways. No snowplow for either of my pickups just yet. I am thinking I can make it a year without a snowplow on the pickups looking at the climate forecast.

7. LB1234

LB1234 Member

If you are contracted for 2" triggers you will be absolutely fine with a singel stage.

8. Whalerguy

Whalerguy Junior Member

I have a Toro 824. It has 3 foreward 2 reverse gears, pull and electric start. It uses unmixed gasoline (way less headache) and can be easily loaded into any of my trucks. While these seem to go for $800-$1000 around here, a used one shouldn't run you that much. It seems to have a good auger, and I have an easy time loading it into my truck using two home-built ramps that can be stowed next to it in the bed.

Hope that helps :)

9. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

Toro

I just bought the power max 1028 LXE ..This will be my first year to add a blower to the line up so I can't speak from personal experience with it but I did all the research and everyone seems to like Toro, Aerins and Simplicity, with the Toro coming out slightly ahead on number of recommends.

10. mr.mow

mr.mow Junior Member

TOROTOROTOROTORO--------------------------------------------------------------------TORO! you cannot go wrong!prspor wesport :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: sorry just like adding these little guys it fun.

11. mr.mow

mr.mow Junior Member

12yrs exp with toro ccr 1000 ,2000,3000 ect. and big ariens. with the toros almost never have to use the big guns(mainly in size and weight) power to weight...toro!:gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:

12. fastby250cc

fastby250cc Junior Member

I only have experience with single stage throwers, but after I saw the Honda at the hardware store, I got rid of the Toro's. I know this is not the case for the bigger throwers, or so I hear, but single stage, my money is on Honda. 4 stroke, easy to start, and lots of power for those wet snow falls.

13. mr.mow

mr.mow Junior Member

how long have you been doing sidewalks and driveways with a snowblower. Not knocking honda one bit though.

14. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

My Honda HS520 is a pretty solid machine. The only thing that i have had to do with it in 3 years is change the paddles and the metal auger (hit a metal pole) These machines will throw the snow quite far and will handle anything up to 12'' without a problem. Like others have mentioned, it gets down to the pavement which is what you need after everyone walks in the path and compacts the snow. You can never go wrong with a a honda.

15. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I second toro, as long as you don't leave fuel in them all summer you can't hurt them.

Regards Mike

16. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Make mine a Toro too pleasewesport

17. fastby250cc

fastby250cc Junior Member

I am not trying to stir the pot here, but take the honda single stage and the toro and hit the same snow side by side and you will be amazed at the difference, I was. As far as leaving gas in them all summer, gas is so crappy I have had issues even when i run stabil and/or run it dry. The only thing that works for me is to run the small engines every 2 weeks or so.

18. DRG

DRG Junior Member

Honda all the way 4 stroke single all the way .Very reliable .

2006 duramax
    8 mm fisher
    snowway electric v-box sander
    4 stroke snowblower

I am waiting at DunkinDonuts for a snowflake to fall !!!: o :eek: