1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

good small skid steer to unload truck

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by westernboy16, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westernboy16

westernboy16 Senior Member

what is a good small and light skid steer to unload a international 4600-4700 or ford 650 low pro. i want the smallest one/ lightest

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

What are you unloading?

3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

He's Back! LOL It was way too good to be true!

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How about a "Tonka" :dizzy:

5. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Too funny!!

I am just gonna prsport

6. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

I'll humor you western boy, it will be a hell of a lot cheaper to buy and install a dump piston, hydrolic pump and hinge than it would be to buy a skid steer. Plus, how would you even unload material out of the truck?

Ivan

7. westernboy16

i would be unloading pallets of rocks (retaning wall bricks) and sod rolls

8. salopez

salopez Senior Member

how much do those pallets wiegh? about 1800 to 2000 lbs? if so then there is your answer...got to the websites of skid manufactures and look at the loaders that have working loads of 2000 lbs and find the lightest one. I would think you are looking at bobcats 873 (s190s), new holland 180s, gehl 5640's, john deere 260's Depends on the vintage, there are alot out there but they are not cheap.

9. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I assume the 16 boy part is serious.

But, to humor you. Skidsteers are not good for pallet work. Most of them don't self level. They are poorly balanced, especially for heavy overhead lifting, and they don't have a high lift capacity.

I would buy a used fork lift for 1/2 the price and unload with that. However, if you are doing rock work, you might need the skid steer bucket aswell.

That said. Why not just have the rocks delivered. Unless you are moving 10+ skids of rocks a day, everyday. It will take a long time to pay off equipment for it. Your supplier will be more than happy to deliver them and unload using a boom crane/offroad fork lift

10. westernboy16

all i would do is load the truck and unload the pallets just to the ground and get another one im not hauling them around the yard maybe 20-30 feet at max actually not that 10-15 feet

11. fordplowdude

fordplowdude Member

You need at least a skid steer that have a ROC ( Rated Operating Capacity) of more that 2,000 Lbs. but even thats light for what your saying you want to use it for. Pallets of block weigh more than that. For these size skid steers your looking at a weight of between 6,000 to 8,000 Lbs.

12. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

assuming hes actually going to end up doing this...and just to humor myself, I think he would be better off with a verticle lift over a radial lift if pallet work will take up most of his time.

13. westernboy16

so what bobcat would you guys recommend but i wont just be doing landscape i want to also do some yard waste removel like dirt, dead fall misc. things in the yard and other yard waste things like chips and gravel.

14. westernboy16

so what bobcat would you guys recommend but i wont just be doing landscape i want to also do some yard waste removel like dirt, dead fall misc. things in the yard and other yard waste things like chips and gravel. i want a skid steer that wont tear up the grass to much because i dont want to
    resod it all.

15. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

then you need a skidsteer with all wheel steer. And even then with a heavy load you will probably tear up the sod.

And unless you are going into business unloading pallets. Have someone take them off for you. It will be cheaper than buying or even renting a skid steer.

16. westernboy16

i want to start landscape and yard waste removel so i need a skid steer to load and unload bricks and sod rolls and chips and dirt but it also needs to load dirt and yard waste in to a truck. it will be used on grass and dirt but 50/50 on both

17. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

Get a pallet jack and a tommy gate for the truck, save your money up and get the skid steer. Forks suck on a tractor or skid steer because, as some one mentioned, they don't self level. If you are a little bit out of wack, you will be busting pallets all day.

Ivan

18. Bodgit2

Bodgit2 Junior Member

Most pallets of stone, pavers or retaining wall blocks sold in this area are about 3000-4000 lbs. Dangerous on a lift gate! :nono: You would need a huge skidsteer for that task.
    Have them delivered with a boom truck, it's cheaper. A forklift is superior for that weight but most are poor on turf. The Skidsteer is very hard on the sod.

19. salopez

salopez Senior Member

you could also look into a used small wheel loader like the kubota's or yanmar's. they have higher capacities because they are longer and will tare up lawns less, but will sill tare them up with a load. or even the small backhoes like the l48 by kubota or jd 110.

20. westernboy16

my uncle was in the lanscape buisness for 2 seasons and he rented a bobcat s-250 to do all his work which i thought he had it just fine for unloading them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.