1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

good setup or not?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnoFoilFisher21, Mar 16, 2003.

1. SnoFoilFisher21

SnoFoilFisher21 Member

ok, heres a question for u guys. Im gonna get either a Chevy Silverado (1500) or GMC Siarra (1500) for my fisrt car (truck). I am most definatly going to buy a fisher, i was just wondering what series i should put on it. I was thinking the RD mm2. I will be doing, some drive-ways, a few small business parking lots, maybe some light commercial, some!!! nothihng to heavy. I was just wondering if that model would stand up to it (the truck and the plow) Thanks for ur help guys and hope u all had a fun season!

~Vinny~

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Why are you set on the 1500? I think a 2500 would be a much better choice. But thats just my opinion- Not too familar with fishers line, but id think anything that is 7.5' or less and under 700#

3. fordman

fordman Senior Member

That sounds like a fine setup. I think that truck and plow will stand up fine to the type of use you specified.

4. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Yes and yes,I run 2 Chevy half tons,2 Fisher plows,1 MM1 and 1 MM2 and plow heavy residential and zero probs with any equipment,the MM2 is a much better setup,alot stronger than the MM1.

5. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I do own Fisher original MM, but I have seen MM2 in person and it looks much better and stronger than the original MM. Fisher do recommend 7.5' regular duty plow for GM 1500 truck. I am sure it will be fine with regular or extended cab model, but if you are getting a crew cab, then you better check the Fisher website to make sure it is ok to put the plow on your truck. Good luck!

6. SnoFoilFisher21

SnoFoilFisher21 Member

thanks for the replies guys! I really appraicaite it. And to answer ur question Snowybowtie, i am not getting a 2500 because they are more expensive then the 1500 and my parents dont want to pitch in more money as it is. anddd im am not really begging for that extra weight beacuse of the areas i am doing. If i wanted a 2500, i would have gotton a fisher HD mm2 8, or 8'6" footer beacsue i would be doing more of the heavy commercial things. In my opinion, the 2500 is made for more of the professional snowplowing applications. wxmn6 i am probably gonna go with a regular cab 2 door, nothing to fancy, to rich for my blood lol. But thanks for ur post, i truly appriciate it.

~Vinny~

Last edited: Mar 16, 2003
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've had a 7.5' MM on a 1/2 ton Dodge for three seasons with absolutely no problems. I'd recommend the MM2. For that truck go with the 7.5' RD which is a straight blade. You'll want the RD over the LD if you're doing commercial plowing like you indicate.

8. Mick

from Maine

SnoFoilFisher21, I just checked your profile and you show being 16 years old. Before you go making too big of plans for getting parking lots and commercial areas, you might want to look into insurance - specifally for commercial vehicle and commercial plowing. I don't know any business owner who would hire anyone not properly insured - it would void their insurance. My suggestion is sticking with driveways since homeowners are usually less picky about insurance (although they shouldn't be).

9. SnoFoilFisher21

SnoFoilFisher21 Member

mick, Im one step ahead of u:D

10. Mick

from Maine

Most 16 year olds are. Good luck to you, SnoFoilFisher21.
    :drinkup: (coke:nono: )

11. SnoFoilFisher21

SnoFoilFisher21 Member

lol, coke who needs coke? lol just playin around mick :drinkup: (coke) lol

12. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

snofoilfisher21,

have you ever plowed before? the reason i ask is because, of your age.

if i were you, i would look into a used truck & plow for your first plow rig.

it's not fun to scratch the whole side of your truck because your over too far and in the bushes, or backing up into a telephone pole, etc...

plow trucks take a beating

just a thought

13. SnoFoilFisher21

SnoFoilFisher21 Member

im not gonna be getting a brand new Silverado! lol i wouldnt trust myself with that plowing or not. Im prob. gonna get like a 98 or so, 96. I have plowed with my dad for many hours and i love it. when i was little he let me do a alittle parking lot in his working place (a nursing home, he is the head of maintence) of corse i was sitting on his lap steering and working the plow, he was doing the gas, Butt anywayy,, i have a little tractor with a plow on it, its fun!:D But i have the concept of plowing down thanks to my dad!

~Vinny~

14. myo

myo Senior Member

That setup sounds like a good one. Good luck!

15. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I understand your reasoning. I have a k1500 with a 7'6" Western Pro. Love the truck and the plow, wish i had a 3/4 or 1ton, just to have a v on it, but money didnt allow for either.

I think you'll really like the truck in general, look for a 96 or newer to get that Vortec engine. Be sure to post some pictures when you find one!

-John

16. SnoFoilFisher21

SnoFoilFisher21 Member

Dont worry Snowybowtie, ill post all the pics i have of it, with me thier having a bigg smile on my face:D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2003