1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good Set Up?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Wrecker, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Wrecker

Wrecker Junior Member

I have a 79 F250 with a Westen Plow. The Plow Frame is mounted to two large Beams that run to the mid section of the truck frame. The front of the beams are mounted to brackets that hang off the Front leaf springs. This setup seems heavy duty to me., but i'm not sure. The downside is not much ground clearence for the plow frame. Is this setup OK?

my plow 1.jpg

2. fordman

fordman Senior Member

It looks like you have VERY little ground clearance. Personally I have never seen a set up like that :confused: so don't know what to make of it. Personally I'd be a little leery about having the plow mount directly connected with the suspension. Maybe some of the older members have seen a set up like that before.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2003
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I saw a Western plow on a Jeep CJ once that mounted to the front frame and to the front leaf springs. It had a pivot point on the push frames so that it could flex with the suspension. Seemed weak to me.

Never got to ask the owner how it plowed.

4. drobson

drobson Senior Member

I saw an old Ford ranger with a similar setup, although I'm not sure if the mounts were directly to the springs or not, but it had about the same amount of clearance. The guy that used it was just doing his gas station and it seemed to work fine. I had asked him if he had problems with the clearance and he said that it would bottom out every time he went in and out of the lot, but as long as he wasn't trying to plow over any curbs he had no problems pushing the snow.

5. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

That is a factory Western mounting system from the dark ages. My 71 GMC 5500 came with a 10' Heavyweight Western mounted on one of those cob jobs. The plow will go back ont he truck, someday, but on a decent mount that gives a little ground clearance. This one used 4" junior beams for the push arms, it was impossible to get it out from under the truck without jacking the front enough that the various brackets would clear the front axle on the way out.

6. Wrecker, Welcome to PlowSite!

My son bought a similar plow set-up several years ago for an older 1 ton Chevy he had. His buddy and him mounted it and it worked fine, till summer time came along and he traded it for a Z-Camaro. What was he thinkin?

Do you plow any residentials in Brockport? I might need to give one up there next year, to far away for me. Email me.

7. bwamx

bwamx Member

I've got an old Western Manual at my shop, I'll check but I
    remember seeing some Factory plow mounts like that.

I believe they were for 2 wheel drive as the frames were much
    weaker though.

Kinda like the Fishers for the older F150's with support bars
    running under the axle and way back to the frame.

Let you know tomorrow.
    Bob

8. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Somethings not right with that setup, as from the picture you can see the a-frame isnt level with the ground.

However, I owned an 80 F-250 with a meyers plow and had a similiar plow setup to what you described. There was nothing attached to the leaf spring brackets though. The meyers had the two frame side members come down as they do today and then two large tubes the mounted behind those brackets and attached to the crossmember where the ears mounted. Those tubes then went back under the axle and then veed out to mount in the middle of the frame of the truck. I think it was a much stronger plow setup then whats available today, but obviously has been discountinued.

Look a little more closely into that setup. Somethings off cause you have zero clearance and the a frame isnt level.

CMerrick

9. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Yeah, Thats an old mid 70's Western setup

I had one like that on a 2wd 73 International lowboy dump.

That plow frame set up was horrible, no clearance, always hanging up on snow banks, just a real PITA

Stay away from it, if you want my opinion.

10. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

had a similar setup on a 1968 k-10 chevy. Absolutely a bear when it came to moving piles of snow since it put the stress in the middle of the truck where it should be. On the negative side, the unit probably was 300 lbs of steel which you drove around the rest of the year with, always got hung up on muddy or uneven ground, and more important you had a major problem when trying to lift the truck in the shop for oil changes.

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

I used to have one too on an older chevy.It was a good setup for strength,never repaired that plow frame.Biggest problem was trying to get all the frozen ice and snow out from under it after plowing.