1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

good set up

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by westernboy16, Dec 16, 2005.

1. westernboy16

westernboy16 Senior Member

im am looking at a ford f-350 (single rear wheel) with the 7.3 diesel crewcab 8ft box. i will be putting 9.6 western vee plow on the front with a back rack and light bars. i will also have a v box/hopper style sander with pintle hitch. i will also have a 16-20 foot trailer with bobcat skid steer and a small tractor and a bobcat toolcat. Any recommingdations and changes with equipment i will be willing to change. ( The machinery will probably not happen for a few years)

2. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

The truck is a work horse!---Take care of it and it will take care of you!!!!!!!!

3. GSE

GSE Senior Member

What are you planning on plowing with it? That's an awful big truck to be plowing res....

4. westernboy16

sorry im actually looking at the SUPER CAB NOT THE CREW CAB

5. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Sounds like a great set-up if your doing commercial.payup

6. PPP

PPP Member

Seems like a good a posibility. I had a similar wheel based vehicle and now have an F-250 Super cab with the 8 foot bed. It is tight with a vehicle that large, but managable with extra caution to be used. Note that the 2005 and newer F-250/350 they have a coil spring suspension in the front and turn much tighter then the older models. I had previously been pushing an 8ft fisher with my old truck and that was a perfect size for my residential driveways, on one ocassion I had to borrow a 9 ft fisher from a friend when mine went in for repair, and that 12 inches was horrible in tight situations with a truck that size. This year with the new truck I have the 8.6 Fisher V plow. I have not had the chance to really use it, but I have a good feeling that the smaller plow is a good choice. Again it works with a big truck, but a little more care must be taken and choose your accounts carefully.
    Good Luck in your choice.

7. westernboy16

westernboy16]im am looking at a ford f-350 (single rear wheel) with the 7.3 diesel 8ft box. SUPER CAB. i will be putting 9.6 western vee plow on the front with a back rack and light bars. i will also have a v box/hopper style sander with pintle hitch. i will also have a 16-20 foot trailer with bobcat skid steer and a small tractor and a bobcat toolcat. Any recommingdations and changes with equipment i will be willing to change. ( The machinery will probably not happen for a few years)

8. RipT

RipT Senior Member

Sounds like quite the snow fighting arsenal!! I do not know if you have added up sizes and weights yet, but you will have a hard time squeezing those three pieces of auxilliary equipment on even a 20 ft trailer.

The Toolcat is about 12 ft long and 4800 lbs with nothing on it. The small SSL are shorter, but start at about that weight also. Then the "small tractor" (even if only a lawn tractor), plus blades, and you would be pushing a 24 ft tripple axle trailer and without the benifit of a gooseneck either.

Then a load in the spreader box! Sure hope you're not planning to drive around with everything at once. :eek: Would sure tackle most any situation. I did not see a mention of a blower though?

Nothing wrong with having a dream though! :D That truck should make for a nice rig, just make sure you don't overload the front end with the big blade and the deisel. :nono:

9. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Sounds like a big money investment I hope you plan on going in stages... and towing all the equipment around with a v box in the bed... Thats a lot of weight...

10. westernboy16

ya i know it is i will probably go with a tailgate to reduce weight and one more change i will be doing a boss v plow and yes i will be doing stages probably on a seson

11. GSE

GSE Senior Member

Check Western's online plow configurator. I think you're going to be hard pressed getting a 9'6" Vee on that truck....

12. westernboy16

im not planning on hauling them at the same time just one on it NO IT IS NOT GOING TO BE A WESTERN IS ITS GOING TO BEA BOSS VEE AND A TAILGATE SANDER. IT IS GOING TO BE A SUPER CAB

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  13. westernboy16

ok if i got a boss 9.6 vee would you go with the 6.8 v10 or the 7.3 diesel

14. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I was looking to replace my Dodge 1500 Q.C. with a 2003 Ford F-350 SRW, 7.3 PS Diesel, short box crew cab. I have a 7'6" BOSS straight blade and a SnowEx 1075 spreader. I have ordered the new BOSS plow wings, so my plow will be 8'6" when I want it to be. Some of my residential accounts are very tight quarters, so I decided to not get the crew cab and just go with the supercab. I don't want an 8ft. box at all either. If you do any residential accounts, I wouldnt recommend an 8ft. box at all. Just my 0.02.:salute:

15. westernboy16

i will either do the 8.2 or the9.2 vee plow

16. GSE

GSE Senior Member

Western, Boss, Fisher, Blizzard, whatever. A 9'6" V-blade is too big for that truck.

Sure, will it work? Probably. Will it be unsafe and severely shorten the life of your truck? ABSOLUTELY!

If you're bent on a V-plow, I wouldn't go beyond an 8'6". Check with the manufacturer first before buying any plow to make sure it's the right one for your truck. No matter what a dealer is telling you, verify with the manufacturer!

17. douglasl330

I run a 2000 350 7.3 SC with an 8' box--I run an 8' straightblade fisher--You don't even know your pushing snow--as for towing--it all depends on how much tongue wt. sometimes I don't even know I have a trailer behind me--Last year I ran a Downeaster setup in the back, never a problem, yes the truck was working a little in a big wet heavy storm, but thats what is designed to do--Work!!!---- Granite State-- he should actually see what the guy's run where he is(May have lighter fluffier type snow)-----Where we are 1 out of 3 storms are the wet heavy kind, so I can follow your thinking there! As V-10 or 7.3--you already know what I'm going with and I get a good 12 mpg pushing snow. Just my opinion not gospel!

18. GSE

GSE Senior Member

Regardless of the type or amount of snow that's being pushed, plow and truck manufacturers dictate the size of a plow for a reason. A lot of it has to do with the front end weight rating of the truck, and how it effects handling. This is especially critical trying to avoid a crash, etc.

Feel free to do what you want with these trucks fellas, but if you injure or kill someone don't expect your insurance carrier to stand behind you should the unthinkable happen.

19. douglasl330

Gse--If you look in this fellas other post--you'll see my suggestion to upgradeing the front end!!!!!!! Also it does matter what type of snow(I would rather push 8" light stuff than what we got Friday) and if he is pushing in just lots, driveways or roads-- I didn't mean to get ur ire up. I totally agree with you on going with the manufactures specs, but if an authorized dealer is willing to put what a customer wants on ;Who's responsible then?

20. GSE

GSE Senior Member

I agree that there's a difference pushing 8" of fluffy snow versus 8" of cement snow. My point was when plow manufacturers get together with truck manufacturers, they don't just discuss how much snow they can push. There's weight ratios, engine weights, counter weights, handling, etc. I'm confident that my '05 F350 Diesels could push 8" of cement snow with a 15' blade.

With the truck in question, there's no concern here with power. It's all about what a plow that big is going to do to his suspension, U joints, springs, etc and how it would effect handling.

A responsible dealer talked me out of a 9'6" V-plow for my 05 F350's stating "Fisher rates it, but it's too much plow for that truck". And keep in mind the 05's and 06's have 1100 pound higher GVW rating than the 02 he's looking at, 500 pounds of which is in the front end. The new 6.0L Motor is also lighter than the older (more reliable!) 7.3L motor.

I'm not fired up, I'm just trying to make sure he knows all the facts before he treads forward. Bigger isn't ALWAYS better!