1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good salt spreader rear lights?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by PerfectEarth, Dec 10, 2010.

1. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth Member

Tried to search for some leads on recommendations but didn't find anything. I'm looking for a matching pair (I know sometimes they come sold in twos) of new floods to mount on the back of my dump body to light up the rear pretty good. I have one right now- just a basic, round work light, wired into the trailer plug thru the spreader... They are grounded thru mounting them.

There are a ton on Northern Tool but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on some quality rear lights, flood-style- I don't want to blind anyone or be obnoxious either, just want to light up both rear sides so I can see better. Thanks!! :waving:

(hoping for a couple that are grounded the same way just for ease)

2. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

do you have a spreader or just mounting to the box? For reversing or spreading?

3. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth Member

It's a Swenson MDV in the back of my F550.

The lights would mount onto the chain holders (for when the dump tailgate is on) on the rear of the dump body sides. Perfect spot to tighten them on.

The lights would be for seeing the spreading AND reversing. Thanks.

4. JeepCreepn01

JeepCreepn01 Senior Member
    from Ohio

heres what i did if you can follow me....Added 2 nice utility lights from Tractor supply....mounted them to my salter hooked them together and added alittle trailer wiring end that is only like an inch long....on yeah you gotta figure out on the trailer wiring whichone runs your running lights so it is only on when the lights are then to hook it to the truck i use this http://www.tractorsupply.com/traile...e-to-4-wire-flat-with-nite-glow-8483--1433010
    really simple prolly sounds messed up but it cost me like $60
    i'll post pics if confused
    This to me is better then adding floods to the truck cause throughout the year mine always seemed to get broke

5. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

totally agree with Jeep, cheap rubber mounts are the best usually last 3 maybe 4 seasons whereas everything else will rust out in 1. R emember that most after market lights are meant to be mounted on the front, (relativly clean), not the back (extremely dirty) part of a vehicle.light should be about 4-5 feet up and angled down and out at 45 degrees. I run mostly V boxes and just use 1 light about a foot from the top of the hopper and then I have 2 mounted to the sides of my hitch frame, just snug enough so they will flex back if i run into some deep snow. Just be sure to run a ground from the bulb inside to a good spot, don't rely on the stock ground through the mounting bracket as this will corrode over time(even with plenty of FF) .