1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good reason to NOT travel with it angled!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MickiRig1, Jan 29, 2004.

1. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Driving with the plow angled to the right on a cleared / salted highway at 45 - 50 mph in 2WD. (Ford F-250 / 7.5 plow.)
    As I approach an overpass I see snow drifting across the far end with a strong wind blowing. As soon as all four tires hit the overpasses pavement I notice it's black ice. Almost across when the WIND CATCHES THE RIGHT ANGLED PLOW. Suddenly truck is at a 60 degree angle to the road. The truck went left / right this way (on snow) 4 times before I got it under control. How I did not roll it, I don't know, she dug and started to tip on the first swerve. If I hadn't liquid de- iced the dumpster on my last job I would have left a wet spot on my cloth seats.
    I never thought about a plow acting like a sail in conditions like this, now I do. Great a new
    snow-mare.

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I never travel with mine angled.:nono:
    Always straight.:nod: No overheating problems eaither.:waving:

3. roblandscape

roblandscape Senior Member
    from Phila

I never uncerstood why people angle thier plows during transport, seems like its easier to bottom out also.:confused:

4. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

My truck overheats if I leave it straight, if angle a bit it cools down.

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

mines always straight too unsymectrical to have it angled! it screws me up when driving around corners when its angled.

6. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

QUESTION? Did you have ballast in the rear of the bed at the time? Reason I ask is because I think it is dangerous to travel at a higher speed with plow on in 2wd without ballast because you have unloaded the rear end.

7. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

I guess it depends on how heavy your plow is, and how heavy your suspension is. I have an S10 Blazer, with a 6ft Meyer plow (steel). You would think that it would be front heavy, but it doesn't seem to be. It seems to handle about the same, with or without the plow.

8. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Yes untill you hit ice. Then 2wd will put you into a spin like you are on a pivot point. Take my advice and use ballast in the rear.

9. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Most larger plows are too big to travel with them straight. When they are angled, they aren't as wide by significant amounts. I drive with mine angled, always. If something happens, and a driver happens to bump into a drift or bank while going down the road, they are much less likely to get "sucked in" with it angled. The only thing is, is that it ALWAYS has to be angled to the right. Angling to the left is extremely dangerous.

10. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Good point Bolts. Has nothing to do with whether the plow is angled or straight. Has to do with ground pressure.

11. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

45-50 mph is too fast for me at any angle. It'd be ok on perfectly smooth dry pavement, but there's no such thing. Sounds like balast could have been an issue as well.

I'd thank the Lord for the fair warning and take whatever measures needed to avoid that from happening again. Better safe than dead. payup

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Thats just a bad situation, and the plow may or may not have affected it. No way to really know.

But as for angled while transporting....

BOTTOM LINE:

Its flat out RUDE to other motorists to have your blade STRAIGHT.

You 7.5' guys its not as big of a problem, but its those Freakin' newbies driving their boss's truck with a 8.5' - 9' straight blade.....STRAIGHT! :realmad:

With most 2 lane roads around here (and I'm talking about primary State routes here) having ONLY 8' of blacktop between the Double Yellow and the ditch, that doesn't leave ANY room for a STRAIGHT NON-Angled blade. Add NARROW lanes due to state plows not plowing to the edge, and you now have less than 14' of roadway shared by one nice guy with a nice compact 8'2" BOSS V (A narrow 7'2" while transporting in V mode), and the other shared by HOTSHOT newbie in the Crew Cab Dump with a 9' STRAIGHT blade in the BUCKING position. Being IGNORANT he is over 14" WIDER than if he were to simply hit that angle button and NARROW his lane hogging size.

You guys that travel with them STRAIGHT.......PLEASE share some common courtesy and ANGLE it when on narrow roads.

And if your edges are HITTING when its angled, SOMETHING is wrong with your setup.

Can you tell this is a MAJOR pet peeve of mine? :eek:

13. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

actually another very good reason for angling the plow when driving at higher speds is that it helps the plow and truck become more areodynamoc - thus improving gas mileage and handling. But I sure don't discount your experience - although unfortunate (but luckily not damaging to you or your rig) I think a bunch of circumstances combined here to give you some bad luck.

14. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I really doubt the angle blade as any thing to do with it. The blade has approximately 18 Square feet of surface so angled you only have 4 square feet of less exposed to a cross wind.

50 MPH is too fast to drive with a plow. What would have you done if link in chain broke. Then you found your blade in between your axles. I have seen a truck that that happen to.

They don't put signs on bridges "Bridge surface may be slippery" for no reason.

15. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

My trucks are always driven with the blade angled to the right ALL the time. for alot of reasons, many of which have already been stated, and also if you are driving and have to go around a car making a left hand turn or have to go towards the shoulder for some reason, if your blade is angled left or striaght you will be sucked into the snow bank and end up in the weeds possibly hitting whatever is off to the side of the raod or atleast stuck. Angled to the right you will deflect off anything you hit or snow banks.

The blade on my dump is a 9' and you have to angle it going down the raod or you'll take up too much space.

It's also a pet peeve of mine, I realy can't see why anyone would drive around with thier blade staight.

16. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

:rolleyes: Everybody has their choice of which way they want it don't they? Whats it matter if some have it straight? Don't like it, don't look at it.:waving:

17. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

On my gas truck, I try to keep it angled to save on fuel. I do notice a difference while driving in how much you have to mash the petal. The plow on that truck is also 8.5 I can't do it an night because it blocks the lights.

The diesel truck doesn't care. Heck I barley touch the petal while plowing- 20 mph idle speed.

18. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

About 25 years ago I rolled my fathers Dodge on its roof by catching a snowback with the plow angled to the left. Didn't have any forums back then to teach me anything. Didn't have no common sense then either.

19. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

mine too only if the temp is above 35 F .. must be an S-10 thing:cool:

20. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

"Amen" to your first quote, and "I have no idea, other than get me mad because I have to get in the shoulder to pass by them.

Yes, EVERYBODY has their choice, but when it affects ME because I have to do an evasive maneuver just to pass next to him, it has a little more to do with SAFETY and COMMON SENSE than just " not looking at it"! :nono:

Going down a highway, wide road, or such, I could CARE LESS what position his/her blade is in. But when your staring down a 9' blade coming at you hanging 10-12" into YOUR lane, you'll feel different about it too.

And people,......This hasn't happened once or twice, but at least 2-3 times EACH AND EVERY STORM. They ought to have a training session for every NEW plow truck driver. A type of endorsement or something.

As for these newbies knowing how to plow....I can start a book on the crazy things I've seen new plow drivers do when actually plowing a lot or driveway!