1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

good programmer's for gaser's

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mikes-plow, Feb 5, 2013.

1. mikes-plow

mikes-plow Senior Member

I bought an '04 gmc 2500hd with the 6.0 this spring, very happy with the truck! Just looking to get a little better mileage with it. I don't know much about programmer's so any help is appreciated. thank you
  2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Dont know much about the programmers, but when you buy a 3/4t or 1t truck...theres always something you have to give up. Fuel mileage or work ability. Never really checked but my 2500HD with the 6.0 probably gets 15 MPG.
  3. 992door

992door Junior Member
    from NC

4. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

What year is your truck. I would love to get 15mpg in my trucks.
    Thumbs Up
  6. Mxrider069

Mxrider069 Member

I have blackbear in my truck and love the difference it made, i wish i got 15mpg as well even with the tune i get right around 14ish on the highway

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Tuners for gas trucks are as worthless as tits on a beaver.
  8. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

15 MPG, thats impressive. i get 10 when the trucks empty just driving and i checked it last summer pulling a 14' open trailer with 2 mowers and other lawn tools and was getting 7.6 MPG. What did you do to it to get that mileage?
  9. 992door

992door Junior Member
    from NC

Did you get it tuned in person or just a standard tune?
  10. mikes-plow

mikes-plow Senior Member

i've heard that tuners on gas trucks are a waste but was just looking for some more input. I agree 15mpg would be nice! i'm getting 10 with just me and a toolbox, and around 6-7 with plow and ballast.
  11. Mxrider069

Mxrider069 Member

I sent him a list of things i have done to my truck so he could write a tune to work with my upgrades..you def notice a difference with it. I dont regret it one bit, my buddy with a dmax and a tuner was even very surprised at my results
  12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

A properly written tune will make a difference on them. Not the difference you would see with a diesel but there is improvements to be made with the gas trucks. I've never heard that the box tuners do much but everyone who's had someone tune the ECM (blackbear, westers, etc) has said it makes a pretty noticeable difference.
  13. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

i would check out bully dog...been impressed with mine on my lb7...heard a lot of good about the gas version