1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

good price to pay shovel guy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rfed32, Nov 11, 2006.

1. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i will be havin a buddy shovel for me this year...i am being subed to do sidewalks and driveways and will be makin 70/hr...he will come out with me in storms over 4'' and i was thinkin 10 bucks should be good...all we have to do is the walk up to the house, the home owner is to take care of the front on the street. what do u guys think

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i pay my shoveler $15.00 per hour from the time i pick him up until i drop him off at his house.

johm

3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

$10 isn't enough to brake you back in the cold weather. it takes more $$$ for someone to be reliable enough to show up. if he's lazy but reliable, pay him $10. if he's reliable and a hard worker he'll need $15-$25 to make it worth his time.

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

agreed well put.

5. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

If hes 13 years old thats probably fine. But not if you have a good worker who's of age.

6. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Any shovel work on residential I do myself,Commercial I hire a friend who has winters off and he gets $9/hr.

7. southsideone

southsideone Member

if you think $10, then start him at $10. or come up w/ some sort of bracket pay out, such as anything over 6,7,or 8" he'll get $15 or something like that.

also, how long will a typical 4-5" event take you? if it takes 8-10 hours, maybe give'em $10/hr, or if its more like 2-6 hours give'em $13. (<-- that will pretty much equal $10/hr anyway)

8. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

You dont want to get your feet wet or your poor little self snowed on yet you want to pay this guy near minimum wage to do your dirty work.

Amazing.

You should be ashamed of yourself for wanting to pay someone 10 dollars an hour to shovel.

I hope he takes that snowblower and steals all your work and makes himself 100 an hour with it and he'll do a better job too.

Of course you probably send him out with some cheap azz shovel because you're too cheap to buy a sno blower.

9. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

How is $10/hr bad? The union labourer rate here is $17/hr,Wal-Mart is $7/hr

Mind you that is Canadian dollars.

10. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Whoa dude a little harsh:gunsfiring:

11. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

Your lucky! I do all comm. no driveways no hand work. 1 acct. is a church, they fired there saxton 2 days before snow. They called me and told me take care of steps and sidewalks at what ever cost. They probanly had 300 yards of sidewalks. I ended up paying my niece and boyfriend 30/ hour to do this. No one and i mean no one would do this for me. I never seen such a lazy generation as today. And to find someone for 10 you lucked out. For what you are charging you should at least be paying 20/ hour. to keep his interest and to stay with you. Otherwise he might get smart and branch out on his own. At only 10/ hour he wouldnt have much to loose.
    Mike

12. southsideone

southsideone Member

one person doesnt represent an entire generation btw.................

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you are being subbed out at $70/hr. then what is the benifit of bring someone with you? You are both going to be working at the same time and still for $70/hr or are you planning to pad your hours?

Here, close to Toronto it would be real hard to find someone for $10 but $15 with $100 minimum would be almost worth getting out of bed for.

I agree, the next generation is LAZY!!!

14. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

OK its late at nite or early morning your in your warm bed and the phone rings.Come out and play in the worse conditions possible. For 10 bucks a hour never mind going back to sleep.But pay 25 per hour guy jumps out of bed and runs to the location or is waiting for the call or has already called you to see when hes to report in.My guys are the best and i pay them for what they give me reliability. Nite or day cold or warm any conditions they are ready to go and they know they will be paid a fair wage Along with a fair wage we have a heck of a lot of fun.

15. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

lol, $25/hr. Here in red hot Alberta, I still find guys willing to work for 10 to 12 bucks/hr.

Why give 25???? doesn't make any sense.:confused:

16. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

sorry dude just went out today and bought a new snowblower and 3 brand new shovels so i think i am making it easy for him....and thats fine if he steals the driveways we are subbing off a guy and he pays me for both me and my shovelers...thats just how it is b.c i cant stand working with the owner of the companies 2 sons and told him that, the owner also agreed they were not hard workers after this summer of landscaping and will no longer have them....

i like some of the ideas i am getting here keep them comin i am putting everything in my note book i keep for this stuff...thanks so far

one other thing...i am a sub i get paid 70 his pay comes out of mine...i also have to worry about truck repair and plow repair snowblower reapir if i need a new shovel im buying it not him....that money comes out of my pocekt....if its a bigger storm i will pay him 15 i told him up front about all this....i pick him up bam he is on the clock till i drop him off...he is cool with everything...a lot of this is a learnin processes i told him if i can pick up another truck by next season he will be in it working for me and is great with all that...he is a good kid so i think all should work out well

again thanks for the post and keep them comming

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  17. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Newbies and low ballers
    I wont get into a argument about wages but you get what you pay for

18. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Pat him what he is worth. No more. No Less.
    Ann Arbor, has some different views in his mind, which is fine. He gets a little worked up, but that creates debate, which creates results. Dont apologize for doing what you think is right. If you think you are being fair, and the person accepts your offer, all is good. If not, then renegotiate with him for a higher wage. Just remember, you are both doing this for the same reason.payup
    Good Luck

Ann arbor, stop being a bully!!!!LOL
    Just kidding. Not trying to put you down, just saying you like to debate issues.

"NOW, YOU KIDS STOP FIGHTING"

19. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

can you do it without a shoveler?are you paying him under the table.

JR

20. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

I was just gonna ask if it was under the table or not.

Remember if its all legit $70/hr is the rate charged to the customer,thats not profit

Workers comp,Employee income tax,Unemployment Payounts all add up,If your paying your guy $25/hr something does not add up because after all the paperwork and amounts taken out of his pay and government crap he (or she) shouldn't be making that much.

I'm sitting here laughing at the comment that anyone who pays $10/hr to a shoveler is a newbie and a lowballer,If your paying $25 your either Ripping off your customers or Overpaying your employee.