1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good price for old Western?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by drof99, Nov 12, 2011.

1. drof99

drof99 Junior Member
    from USA

I have a chance to buy an old Western Isarmatic plow for $500. Everything appears to be in good shape other than the control cables. The blade is 8 foot. The mount matches up to the old 86 Power Ram I plan on putting it on. The truck has a 360 and is four wheel drive. It is a 3/4 ton with a four speed. Just an old truck I keep around the farm. The blade will not operate with the cables that are on it now. I can get a new set of controls with the cables for $165. I am planning on going to take a closer look at the plow tomorrow. I know the guy selling it so I was going to go take a closer look tomorrw. I plan on open up where the cables hook to to make sure that the plow lifts and angles properly. If that all seems to function as it should is that a fair price for an older plow? Lights all work excluded one turn signal that is broke off. I plan on just using this plow around the farm and maybe on a couple neighboring driveways. Are there any other things that I should look into before purchasing this plow? Thanks in advance for the help guys.

2. second income

second income Member

As long as it is a direct match up to install it sounds like a good deal. Those old set ups were very reliable and easy to service. Good luck with it

3. drof99

drof99 Junior Member
    from USA

Well, it was a direct fit. I've got the plow all mounted up. Headlights are wired up and working well. I do need to get a new set of turn signals for it. I drained the old oil, removed the motor, and pulled the pump. There was a little bit of sludge down in the bottom. Cleaned that all out and cleaned the filter while I had everything apart. I refilled with fresh oil and put everything back together. Tomorrow I plan on replacing the old hoses as well as the quick couplers. One seems to be leaking a bit. The gentleman I bought the plow from did drop the price by $100 so that should more than cover all the new hoses. I think over all it was a pretty good deal. I was planning on having to replace the cables but after I've cleaned them up a bit they seem to be working fine. It sure will make plowing with heat much nicer than on the old tractor!

4. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

Sounds like a great price. Hell you can probably get your money back for it in the spring when scrap steel goes back up. As long as the metal on a plow is in good shape the rest does not matter that much. Hydrolic systems are basic and cheap to fix.

5. drof99

drof99 Junior Member
    from USA

Steel is all in good shape. Just surface rust on it now. When some time (and weather) allows the I am going to put it in the shop and sandblast the blade and mount. Then prime and paint. I plan on doing the mount black and the blade Western red. I just ordered some new guides and will replace the flap across the top before the snow reallys gets going here......I hope. I'm sure I will be needing some more help along the line at some point.