1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

good price for 50# bags of calcium chloride pellets

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Burkartsplow, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I found 50# bags of of calciium chloride for $11 a bag by the pallet. Lowest other price I found was $13.45 a bag by the pallet. Anybody find anything better then that? Thanks

2. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

$11 is pretty good for just one pallet. Truckloads can be had cheaper, but not many contractors are interested in truckloads of CC.

Thumbs up!

:mechanic:

3. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I got some cc one time for $9.50 a bag, wish I had stocked up

4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I can get a trailer load for $9.46 a bag, 18 pallets.

5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I only need a pallet or two for one account so I think it is pretty good. thanks for the replys

6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, snatch that up. Best I've been able to get in the last couple years has been $12.99/bag by the pallet.

7. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I wonder if we could get enough guys together to split a trailer, I would take 2 to 3 pallets. What brand are you getting? How pure is it?

8. Westhardt Corp.

If it's good, buy it all.

No, really.....buy it ALL.

:D

9. HLS Wholesale

HLS Wholesale Senior Member

$10.88 by the pallet in Chicago

10. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I know it's imported, I'm not sure of the brand. I will look at the paperwork they sent me on Monday,

11. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

i take it you dont like calcium chloride westhardt?

12. Westhardt Corp.

Not bad for at all a pallet.

13. Westhardt Corp.

Not exactly. It's a great product for certain situations that require it. But I feel that just applying straight CC just because it's too cold for halite is an outdated approach to deicing. There are so many blends and treated products available now that are more user friendly, more cost effective, less hazardous to handle and less demanding of proper application that to simply throw straight CC down seems downright silly.

I have consulted with many clients over the years about it, and the first question I always ask in response to a CC inquiry is "What do you intend to do with it?". I've found that a lot of contractors simply don't know enough about the available products, so they relegate themselves to either "rock or cal" and that's pretty much it. As a supplier, I encourage my guys to make sure the clients are as educated as possible about the available products, so they get what they need, and in turn, it does what they want it to do. In this "interesting" market, that's how we've managed to keep our clients happy--and returning.

In short, we could sell a contractor whatever product they ask for, but I aim to provide a service as well as a sale.

:cool:

14. wizardsr

So, if there's such great "blends" out there, how come no one will tell you what percentages are in each bag? I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if a company would just bag a 90% sodium, 10% calcium mix and charge a fair price, it would sell like hotcakes. That's all most of us are looking for, a reasonably priced product that works. :rolleyes:

15. Westhardt Corp.

That has been a problem in the industry for years--especially as more blends are produced. Interestingly, Cargill is bucking the trend and attempting to pave the way to total disclosure with their bagged products starting this season. We should all hope that others follow suit.

As for a 90/10, it's already available as Morton's Professional Grade product (both white as well as blue-tinted). Like most others, the MSDS doesn't list the percentages, but I have been told by a Morton rep that it's 90/10, and others in the industry tend to agree. Truckload, it wholesales for around $6-6.50/bag, so it's pretty cost effective, especially when compared to straight CC. Also, Central offers their treated "Slicer" product in a bag under the name "Beneath Zero." It is screened before bagging for uniformity, and treated with their Apex liquid--really nice stuff. It, too is reasonably priced, around $7.15/bag--and you can dial down your application rates and actually use less product. Comparable to "Magic", but less cost and better results...and it's in a bag.

Another product we sell a lot of is Natural Alternative by NaturaLawn. It's higher-end ($9+/bag), but is practically harmless to turf and plants. I've even seen some seriously gross over-application without any burnt grass. Truly impressive, but it's more of a niche product.

HTH!!

16. wizardsr

Good info. I'm getting straight tired of mixing my own and putting it in buckets. Would love to have a bagged product to stock the shovelers with and not worry about it any more...

17. Westhardt Corp.

I'm all about info...

:D