1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good Plows.

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by SnoFarmer, Oct 12, 2005.

1. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have one( a 8.?) on my wifes 01, 2500 Dodge. There easy to put on and off, Yes! even easer than my Boss rt2.
    We have been plowing with it for 3yrs now, just change the fluid and put on a new cutting edge and she is good to go, no problems.
    I do wonder why I don't see more of them?, seeing as there made in MN.
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

They just dont have the marketing push or the large number of distributors. Their primary business is ag equipment. I use to install hinikers for a truck equip co and we didnt always have the best of luck with them for warranty claims and when i called them for tech support i ended up knowing more than the guy trying to help me.

I will give you one tip though, if you end up having problems with controllers burning out, switch the coils on the valves at the power unit to 2 wire coils with one wire being power and the other wire to a good ground. I found that the coils (especially down) were losing ground and shorting out internally which caused the controller to basically melt down.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

So, I should take my coils out and clean the mounting surface and bolts off?
    As they make up the grounding circuit. or just get new ones before it melts down? Or is it a problem with the coil it's self?
  4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I've noticed the same thing, I have only seen one around here, it's a C-blade on a new f250 sitting at the Ford dealer, been there for months. supposedly theres a dealer a half hour from here, but they must not be selling many. I dont know but what I've read, but they seem decent enough, and the C-plow is pretty clever.
  5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The problem was with the fact that the coil would lose ground so taking and cleaning everything up wouldnt hurt. Found that the problem was on the down coil mostly since it was energized for long periods while plowing causing the coil to overheat and meltdown internally.
  6. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

I've had Meyers, Western, Diamonds and Hinikers.. The 8 foot C model is the best plow I've had EXCEPT it's the old style trip blade vs the trip edge on the newer plows.

My only complaint about Hiniker is their lack of customer service--they won't address the old problems and are very slow to respond to calls.
  7. crocket

crocket Junior Member
    from SW PA.

If you clean the coils put some dielectric grease on the front and back to keepit from corroding This will almost eliminate any problems with the controller.From what ive found if there is a problem with the plow and it is a manufactures defect they have always stood behind there products.IF it is misused dont even bother trying because they know there products.
  8. pinepointe

pinepointe Senior Member

Hiniker all the way!!

We have had a 9.5 foot hiniker v blade in use for two years no problems yet. It seems to be a lot smoother than our boss v blade