1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good plowing truck?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by MoparMissile9, Dec 18, 2005.

1. MoparMissile9

MoparMissile9 Junior Member

First off i'm new here so I apologize is this is a repeated or dumb question...

Looking to buy a 1994-2001 (2nd Gen) Dodge Ram 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 5.2 liter pickup. Wondering if this is a decent truck to plow with or will it be a waste of my time to put a plow on it. I know you can pretty much plow with anything but I don't want to get the truck and then waste a few thousand on a plow that sucks to use on the truck. We get anywhere from 6-24" of snowfall in storms here so it would have to be able to handle at least 8".
  2. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Defintly a Good plow truck Not GREAT but Good. Keep the Tranny Fluid looking red. And nothing bigger than a 7.5 footer id say.
  3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't want to push 8" of New England snow with it- plow sooner. The ext cab weakens it a bit, and you'll need to beef the front suspension if you plan on plowing more than your own drive (torsion bars tweeked and/or timbrins)
    Deffinatly watch the tranny as with any 1/2 ton truck.
  4. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Let me ask you this... what do you plan on plowing with it... Driveways, small lots, huge lots... What you plan on doing with it make a huge difference on the truck/plow combination.
  5. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

you're not supposed to put a plow on a half-ton *quad cab* of that vintage. (I have one!). I'm not sure I understand exactly why, and what exactly the "risks" are. but I know I read somewhere that it has something to do with the extended cab, and lack of a "b" pillar makes stuff weaker. how much, I don't know.

go to fisher's website, (for example), and go through the process of "selecting" a plow. It won't let you choose "quad cab". it'll let you select a regular cab..but not quad. other manufacturers say the same thing: "no products available for this model..." later models (after '02, I believe) are approved, as are older "pre-quad-cab" models. (again, something to do with the 4 doors, and no center support between the front and back seats, puts additional stress on the frames. extended cabs with NO doors have this additional support).

I was going through my owner's manual recently to review what it says about plowing, and it doesn't speak to this directly; it says that you can only plow with models that had the plow prep package factory installed--it was not available on the quad cab models. (It also says that max recommended weight for the plow is 525lbs). OTOH, I have everything in the truck that the plow-prep package included, save the heavier springs. Its got the tow package, which includes the heavy duty service, transmission cooler and temp warning light, heaviest front axle gawr (3850lbs), heavy-duty alternator, etc. So really, I think it'll be fine for my personal driveway. I'm just not going into business with it.

so, keep that in mind when you're shopping.
  6. motoxdk24

motoxdk24 Member

i break all the rules - 1995 1500 extended 5.2 no problems whatsoever
    ( knock on wood) i sag about an inch or so i got a meyer ezmount plus on it too. i love it!
  7. MoparMissile9

Appreciate the replys guys!

I should have mentioned that it would just be for my personal driveway, maybe some neighbor's driveways, and maybe my dads small parking lot at his shop. No streets or massive store parking lots.

JustMe-Haha, yea I definitely agree, but often snowfall rates in NE has been an inch or more per hour, so if I was at work/school for 6-8 hours by the time I get out there could already be 8" on the ground.

I know a few people who have put plows on these Rams (the small 1/2 ton truck and SUV plows) but I wasn't sure if it'd due any damage being longer in wheelbase or the 1500 model. I notice the smallest plow on Fisher site says Ram 1500 under "models" whereas the next size up (7'6" plow) says Ram 2500.

Anyways I haven't bought the truck yet, but I wanted a before hand answer on whether I could look into getting a plow with it. Since I won't be using it as a "money maker" I would rather still get the truck and just not put a plow on it.

Thanks again for the insight. Love this place for the great info and great pics of everyone's rigs. Some real nice equiptment.
  8. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

There's a difference between "extended cab" and "quad cab". the quad has 4 doors, and apparently has structural differences. I think they started in '99. '02 and above CAN be had w/ plow prep, so they addressed the issue. pre-99 extended cabs may be ok, according to dodge. don't know.

Fisher does say that they have a 7'6" plow for 1500 dodge trucks that were equipped with the plow prep package, but its the "7'6" LD" model. (smaller height/lighter weight than the "RD" or "HD" models).
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If you have not bought the truck yet, why not get a 3/4 ton? Then you will have answered your own Q..
    Really? why not get the 2500??
    what is the reason you want a 1500 over a 2500?
  10. MoparMissile9

Ah, ok I got you. Yea I can see how the older pre '99 ext cabs could be a little more "rugged" since they have a defined B-piller. Since I haven't bought my truck i'll keep the ext cab vs. quad cab in mind. Great info, thanks.

It's not that I like 1500's more or anything, just that there are more 1500's for sale locally around here than 2500. So naturally I feel I can see a better selection to deal from. Also the 2500's seem to be a little more expensive than the 1500's. With my price range being under $8,000 I can locate alot more 1500's than 2500's with low miles. I'll keep my eyes peeled for some 2500's. Now that you mention it I wouldn't mind a 5.9 2500. Not really concerned with gas mileage or anything so the bigger the better.

Anyways thanks for the insight. I'll keep it all on my mind.
  11. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 5.9L 360 engine. I have a BOSS 7'6" Standard Blade on it and a SnowEx 1075 on board also. I usually throw about 600-700 pounds in the back and I have had no problems. Plows very well.:salute:
  12. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

A buddy has a mid-late 90's Dodge 1500 quad cab short bed 4x4 w/360, a/t, and a 6.5' Snoway Lexan w/down pressure. Truck does great. I havent yet determined why the moronic dealer (they really are morons for many other worse reasons than this) sold him a 6.5'... I would never let less than a 7' blade go on a half ton. I never paid attention, but I'm sure it can't cover his tracks well... I have a 79 Dodge Club Cab 1/2 ton long bed, yeah I'm running 37x12.50 Swampers not stock tires, but my Snoway 7.5' without the wings would barely cover its tracks, I think on the side of the leading edge of the plow I'm probably driving in snow. But with the Pro Wings its great the width is very nice! No problems at all....

I can KINDA see the point they make of not having any B pillars between the doors, but you think about it, a body is made of thin sheet metal and is fastened using loose fitting bolts with rubber mounts and rubber bushings.... do you really think that this cab will have any effect on the structure of the frame? I wouldn't put much stock in it... When the rear doors are shut its going to be about as strong anyway, the only time its stressed your door will be shut anyway...

Do as you wish, a quad cab will make a great plowtruck and the 318's are great motors, back in the 70's and 80's they were a very common and durable and reliable engine. They still are, just now in the horsepower wars they're not as common of a motor.. but it shouldn't have any trouble pushin snow. Do it! Try for a shortbed. I don't see many quad cab long bed 1500's but I would prefer a shortbed.
  13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

It's not just the body being weaker- the frame is longer because it's longer by the legnth of the quad/extra cab- longer frame means weaker.

There is also more weight forward over the front axle because of the weight distribution with the quad/extra cab configuration- THAT's the weakness they don;t want plows installed for, the B piller is secondary.

you won't get any better gas milage in a 1500 5.2 over a 2500 5.2- they both average the same pitiful 12-14mpg- just FYI.
  14. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Frozen has the idea here, it's all about how hard you're planning on working your setup. If you're doing a bunch of driveways, I say you'll have no problem with that truck and a 7.5 plow. There are guys who have F350's and 9 footers who'll be out of business before you simply because they don't know how to drive or how to plow and will never admit it.
    The other thing is engineers are always conservative on paper with their numbers and recommendations because they know it's human nature for people to exceed any given limitation. Whatever your setup ends up being, if you don't perform proper maintenance, and/or if you beat on your equipment, you'll be spending alot of time and money down at the plow shop.
    Work smarter.......not harder.
  15. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

1500 Dodge is a very good truck and you will only limited by the plow you put on it.