1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good plow stories??????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by columbiaplower, Dec 31, 2001.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

Well since i have no snow and i have nothing important to post about i figured id see if there are anyone has a good story to tell. anyone in NY got any new stories? look forward to reading
    -Nick-

2. Repoman

Repoman Banned

I seen a 10 wheeler dump run over his standard series 7.5 meyer after driving forward with it fully tripped face down a few blocks,seems he should've checked his g.v.w. before installation.

3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

What? A 7.5' Meyer plow on a 10-wheel dump????

4. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Sounds like he wound up "face down" or at least with egg on his face.

Bruce

5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Last winter a good friend of mine brought me his plow (7.5' Western) with the A-frame in 2 ( :eek: ) pieces!

Overuse/abuse resulted in the A-frame twisting and, eventually, breaking.

"Can you fix it?"

"NO!"

:(

"But I can build you a new one."

:)

Which is what I ended up doing. Printed up a little diploma for him afterwards recognizing his achievement of the most thoroughly destroyed plow I have seen in 10 years in the welding trade! :p

6. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

About my 3rd year of plowing, I was working for a company that ran about 15 or 20 trucks. The majority of them were old beaters, but since I had proved myself to be very good, I was assigned to the "best" truck in the fleet, an 87 3/4 ton chev former county owned truck w/ an 8ft Western. Unfortunately "my" truck wasn't ready to go when we got our first snow of the season on Nov. 1st. I had to go out in an OLD Chevy 1/2 ton short box with an antiquated 7' plow and no 4wd. My first account was a nice restaurant and it was about 4 - 4:30 in the afternoon, just as people were showing up for dinner. I was able to clear the lot of the 3 or 4 inches of WET heavy snow, but I had to get a running start and keep the rpm's up just to maintain momentum. I can just imagine what people were thinking sitting down to their nice dinners watching this old P.O.S. truck going back and forth in the parking lot, tires spining and engine screaming...

Happy New year everyone!!:D

7. Lou

Lou Member

Good plow story

It's been raining, and with all the snow, 3', it's been tough getting rid of all the slush.

I got stuck using a turn out that had softened up. My rig was blocking 2/3rds of the road. No neighbors were home, and I was just about to walk home to get some help.

All of a sudden, around the corner comes the gas truck I had been waiting for 5 days. He stops and we yak for a minute. He says " you know, I think I saw a grader running the the road; since I can't get in anyway, if I spot him I'll let him know you are stuck.

I figured well, might not have any gas left, but at least may be able to get out.

About 5 minutes later, here comes the grader, followed by the gas truck. I get pulled out, and get the gas delivered to the tank.

Talk about that warm holiday feeling!

With all that has been happening in Buffalo, thought this might give you all a lift.