1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good plow parts to keep i nthe truck?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by NickColetti, Jan 5, 2012.

1. NickColetti

NickColetti Member

Sorry if this has already been discussed, i tried to search but nothing came up.

I have a 09 Boss 8'2" Poly V and im curious as to what hoses are the ones that are most common to break? Possibly model numbers if you know them off hand.

I had a straight blade, and when i bought it, it came with extra hoses so i did not have to buy any. When i sold it, i gave the hoses with it.

Im just looking to have some spare stuff in the truck and im sure you guys have more time behind a plow to tell me whats good to carry and whats a waste of money.

Thanks in advance, fellas! Thumbs Up

2. Bigplower

Bigplower Member

i have a 5 year old v blade and only problem i have had is one blown hose for one of the wing cylinders. But i'm sure that won't last for ever.... so i have two of each hose on hand plus a few springs cause they break about every other year. They won't keep you from plowing, but slows you down a little. I also have a back up cylinoid and a couple hydralic fittings incase they break when i replace a hose...

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

If you want to keep the parts to a minimum just find the longest hose needed and get that one, hyd fluid,coil, and a valve. Just remember to keep 2qts of hydraulic fluid. Hoses don't alway BLOW sometimes they just start leaking and you don't know until the plow doesn't want to go up. We keep propane torches in the trucks too

4. NickColetti

NickColetti Member

Thats a good idea- longest hose and propane torch!

Now, if i buy the longest hose... are all the fitting the same on each different hose?

I dont have my plow here at the moment, but im remembering that some of the smaller hoses have different fittings?!

Thanks!

5. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

Good tips on the Torch and fittings, gonna add those to my trucks (angle lines, solenoids, fuses, springs and eyes are always there).

I also keep a quart of hyd fluid and a 2in wide ratchet strap in case the plow craps out completely, only used it once and it was because I didnt know any better than to keep a line on me :mad: but i am sure i will have a motor or pump die on me at some point and will need it again.

Most any other parts are gonna get pricey and probably gonna leave you with some downtime anyways

6. NickColetti

NickColetti Member

Thats what i figured.... there's probably some stuff not even worth carrying around.

Im just looking for some of the cheaper basics that will get me out of most of the "fixable" jams.

7. NickColetti

NickColetti Member

I see all sorts of valves on the sites that im looking at... are there any in particular to buy?

8. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

The hoses are two different sizes 3/8" and 1/4" for sure.
    Infact it might be 3 if you have you a Vee with smart locks.

9. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

All of them for boss

10. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Keep a voltmeter or test light with you to run down that bad connection that stops you dead in your tracks.

I was humming right along. Dropped the plow made a push and went to lift........... NOTHING at all.
    Other than the solenoids clicking .... nothing.
    Didn't have a voltmeter with me. When my sub finally got to me over an hr later with in seconds with the voltmeter we found the problem. It wasn't visibly loose but loose enough to have lost connection.
    Cleaned that terminal and tightened every thing. Back in biz.
    Lost nearly two hours.

11. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I just bought enough of the Boss emergency kits for all my trucks. So far the only thing taken out is 1 solenoid, a lift strap, and the stocking hats that come with them.

Hardly ever have trouble with my Boss plows.

J.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Carry an angle hose and a 3/8"x1/4" reducer fitting. With the fitting you can use that single hose as a replacement for any location you may need.

13. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

A spare pin or two for the swing and lift Cyls. and a good flashlight . Along with spare hoses , oil and the tools to install them , a spare power solenoid . I always carry a spare fanbelt for the truck too , can't plow for long without a fanbelt .

14. bigboss1977

bigboss1977 Senior Member
    from Utah

I carry an extra lower clevis pin now for my 8'0 Super Duty Boss plow. Had mine work it way loose and lost it some where in the snow. I couldn't get the blade to raise.....Put in my reciever hitch pin and it worked til I got a new one....lol

15. bigboss1977

from Utah

Lift Strap ?

Just noticed a thread about a lift strap for boss plows. I'm assuming it lifts the blade in case of a break down and you can get it fixed right away? Is that right?

16. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe its just me but in the 18 years i've used boss plows i have NEVER had to strap my plow up.

We carry everything and anything that could go out at 3AM! It helps having a full time mechanic on staff! Most of which isnt kept in all trucks but during any given night we have a Truck out that has the basics. Then every thing else is at our shop. like Hoses, bolts, Solenoids, Wires, A-Frames, SPRINGSS...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  17. bigboss1977

from Utah

That's great to hear. Must say I'm very impressed with my super duty boss plow. It's taken some pretty hard hits with damn man holes, was almost sure some thing would have broke, even had the hole plow come off the truck, thanks to an incompetent employee, but it was ok....no damage. Must say Boss makes an AWESOME plow.

18. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Yes they will , take a likin and keep on tickin !

19. NickColetti

NickColetti Member

You dont happen to know a model number for this piece, do you? Does this look like the right part? ( HYD01619 ) http://www.rustrepair.com/snow_plow_parts/onlinecat.htm?r=ds&p=sn-boss-bs.hose

I just ordered a 42" hose. After looking at my plow, (and i know any of them are likely to break) it seems that the longest one is the one that might be most likely to break or get pinched.

Ill probably just buy that, a spring and the eyes to attach it, 2 quarts of oil, and a fitting reducer. Ill talk to my local part supplier when i go in there about any solenoids or valves that i might need.

You guys rock! Thumbs Up

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The reducer fitting I mentioned comes from a hardware or hydraulic shop, not from Boss.
    [​IMG]

For a spare hose you should have ordered an HYD01810. You'll have about 8" more inches than you need with the one you ordered. For a spare it's not a big deal but I wouldn't leave it on permanently and be sure to carry a few wire ties to tie it away from the quadrant otherwise you'll need more than that one spare.