1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good plow for Rodeo?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Nurumkin, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Nurumkin

Nurumkin Junior Member
    from MN

Ok I work as a contractor maintaining foreclosed homes. I have been giving a thought to putting a plow on my 2000 rodeo to try and do a better job this winter of clearing driveways. Right now we basically have a few college kids with snowblowers and it takes WAY to long to get it done. And we would loose most of our margin by hiring a service(plus its tough to get them to do it properly as there are specific pics that are required). How feasible is it to put a plow on my rodeo that will do a hundred or so driveways whenever it snows? How much am I looking at? Or am I better off just buying an old beat up truck with a plow already on it?

2. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

I would buy a second rig that is setup already, cheap insurance to keep your mode of transportation.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Except for maybe Snowbear, (avoid the snowbear site, right now it's under construction and my virus scan throws up a couple serious warnings) no one makes a mount for that vehicle. You can not even get a front mount hitch and use the new Meyer Home plow (see attach pic.) as no one offers a front hitch for that vehicle.

A beater truck is not going to be reliable enough to do 100 drives, you really need a short wheel base vehicle the most common being a jeep wrangler. Tough vehicle to find cheap and if you do they generally need enough work to take them out of the cheap category. Fly Kelly here on Plowsite has a couple jeeps for sale already equipped for driveways. Check his posts for a idea of what you are looking at cost wise.

Have you considered that you will need commercial auto insurance and either general liability insurance or a rider on your existing GL policy covering snow removal.

homeplow001.jpg

homeplow002.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  4. Nurumkin

Nurumkin Junior Member
    from MN

re

I already operate as an LLC and do carry liability insurance (I do a lot of deck/handrail building/repair and people are stupid and like to hurt themselves). I have not called my insurance guy but I figured they would charge me a little more for the plow. I may just check into a wranger, I've always wanted one anyway, and 2 or 3 good snows would pay for it.

5. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

love those jeeps. even a cherokee can be fitted with a plow.

6. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Rodeo

Is this a stick Tranny? Basicly, I'd consider the biggest heaviest UTV offering out there (Like you'd find at a polaris or kubota dealer. If it were mine and I had my heart set on a plow for it, I'd consider fabbing a pull plow for the rear. This way you're not loading the front because it won't take it for long, also you get the snow away from the garage door in the first part of the operation. Good Luck

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  7. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Rodeo

You do realize that if you have 100 driveways and each on takes 10 minutes (Probably more) you'll be at this 17 hrs. not including windshield time. I' thinking you may want to invest a little more $$ in your operation IMO.