1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

good plow chevy or no?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by tha_lildude, Jul 26, 2008.

1. tha_lildude

tha_lildude Member

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Sure why not.
    You need to check for; upgraded fan clutch. You'll probably want to get at least a 12 month warranty in case the previous owner roughed it up. Major's like; injectors, fuel system, motor, trans.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on what your going to be plowing (large commercial or residential) and what plow you plan on running. Does this truck have plow prep?
  4. tha_lildude

tha_lildude Member

i am unsure of the plow prep. i doubt it has it. i would like to run a 8 1/5 foot fisher straight blade. maybe an 8 footer, but id prefer an 8 1/2 because i will be doing a little bit of commercial.
  5. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

Its a chevy truck wesport enough said of course you could plow with it.....good luck:drinkup:
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your only doing a little bit of commercial are you sure you want a truck that long? Or is it a dual purpose truck that warrants the crew cab? Just asking. :)

8' or 8.5' is a good choice. And with a CC I'd want the 8.5' over the 8'.

Just be cautious about any warranty issues/questions if it doesn't have the plow prep. And if it doesn't be sure to install the fan clutch that the plow prep trucks were equipped with.
  7. tha_lildude

tha_lildude Member

so i should go with extended cab? im not using as a dual purpose vehicle. strictly snow plow. i have another vehicle i will be using for the gas mileage. but i would want at least an extended cab, and i dont need a diesel either but people always tell me they last much longer. and what if i was to go BRAND NEW off the lot, would that be a better option?
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Basing this on what info you've givin on your circumstances so far, I'd be looking for a used e-cab with a 6.0. Plenty of them out there...and great deals can be had.

If you dont need the CC (or the diesel for that matter) why spend the extra money? Especially if your doing mostly residential work. CC is just adding length to the truck and Diesel is just adding overall cost. Plus you can legally run a bigger plow on an e-cab 6.0 than you can on a CC Diesel anyway.
  9. tha_lildude

tha_lildude Member

cool thank you man, i am now lookin for a 6.0 extended cab :)
  10. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

That truck won't have the factory plow prep on it. The plow prep only came on the extended cab and regular cab diesel. I had an 01 with the 6.0 in and then traded up to the diesel. I will say this, the fuel mileage when plowing with the diesel is a hell of alot better then with the 6.0.
  11. bignatewilson

bignatewilson Junior Member

Check out prices on a new leftover too. I just got a leftover 2007 2500HD ext cab 6.0 gas, with the plow prep and 8' fisher MM2 for 29k from the lot. had less than 300 miles on it. Brand New. Chevy is having some major business issues and with fuel prices the way they are, they are desperate to move the big trucks. give it a shot.