1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good Place to run Harness through firewall

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chevy6.0Fisher, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Chevy6.0Fisher

Chevy6.0Fisher Junior Member

I've been on the forum for some time under a different name, but forgot the information... I just finished installing my Fisher Push Plates and Wiring Harnesses, Just curious where on the firewall I can run my wires for the Plow Control, thank you!

2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I ran mine under the cab and up throught the floor shifter for the tranfercase worked great.

3. Chevy6.0Fisher

i would but i can't i have push button shift, The previous owner had a plow on it, I figured that out after i bought it lol, Looks like he possibly ran it up near the gas pedal not sure though... thanks!

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

If he had a blade on it there should be a hole in the firewall already.

5. Chevy6.0Fisher

Yeah But i didn't know if they used a plug and put the plug back in when he traded the truck in... Thanks guys =]

6. Mark71

Mark71 Junior Member

bump for you

7. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

8. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i normally punch out the the hole were the clutch would go. if there isnt one then i make one were the clutch would normally go, then its out of the way and can easy be repaired with a rubber plug if you sell the truck.

9. Chevy6.0Fisher

sorry lol! Its a 2004 chevy Silverado 2500Hd Ext Cab Short bed, 6.0L Automatic Push button 4x4... I actually ran it through a rubber thingy to the right of the steering column...

10. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Whatever you do, DO NOT push it between the grommet and the firewall! even just minor vibrations from normal vehicle operation combined with the pressure against it from the grommet and the metal edge of the firewall WILL slowly wear away the coating on the wires and then you're gonna have major problems and its probably going to happen at 2:30 in the morning while you're plowing a 3' blizzard. o to any auto parts store and you can pick up a firewall grommet just drill a hole in the firewall making sure you check whats on both sides before you drill and give the controller wiring its own grommet and you'll be all set!

11. Chevy6.0Fisher

Mike will it be fine if I back it up with fire loom?

12. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

Assuming you mean the rubber thingy to the right of the steering column when looking towards the BACK of the truck FROM THE FRONT. That is where I've run all mine through. If you cut into that large grommet and run your wires through the grommet, then you should be ok. if you just pushed the grommet aside and the wires are between the metal and the grommet, that's not so good, even chafing will probably eventually chafe there as noted above.