1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good place to pick up a switched hot?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GripTruk, Dec 21, 2010.

1. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Hey guys, since I've had this truck I never got around to tying the power for the controller to a switched hot. I just have a lighter plug on it and I plug it in when needed. Works fine and I didn't have to crawl under the dash to hook it up. The big problem is if I forget to turn it off when I park overnight it drains the battery. That's the last thing I want. I'll take a pic but I did a nice job of installing my classic joystick control so it just pops on to the opened ashtray with industrial velcro. Pull the velcro, close the ashtray and there's no evidence of the controller besides the wires. I intend to feed those through so they are hidden too when it's disconnected.
    I didn't really go nuts poking around for a switched hot but I was wondering if anyone knew offhand if there is a convenient one in that neighborhood or if there is an open circuit meant just for this in the fuse panel or something. Any advice, let me know!

Thanks in advance... Jer
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

There should be an open one in the driver side fuse box in the upper left hand corner of the box. Just go to autozone and get the bracket to hook into the fuse box. Takes 3 minutes to splice the wire in the bracket and hook up.
  3. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

4. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I snapped a quick picture of the fuse panel, I do see an empty slot on the top left, didn't get a chance to take a test light to it yet, but I'd still like to know what you meant by the bracket...

5. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Anyone else have any tips?
    I have off tomorrow (today technically) so I'm gonna try to tackle my lighting issue and this at the same time.

Thanks again,

6. Stan

Stan Senior Member

The best way to accomplish this is with a test light. There should be a "key on" source in that fuse box. Simply probe with key on/off until you locate it.
  7. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Thanks, I guess that's what I'll be doing, but what I'm not clear on, to do this "RIGHT" if there's a key on hot in the fuse box that is empty, how do I actually pull power from it. I understand how to tap in to an existing line, or to use an add-a fuse like I pictured above, but if there's an unused fuse spot, should there be like a coiled wire behind the panel or something? that's where I'm lost here. I'd prefer to that the correct way than to tapping into something else.

8. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

For as little current that is used to power the plow and salt spreader controllers out there, the "right" way, is to either add a fuse, or tap into an existing fuse. I would use Fuse #12, labelled "SEO ACCY," located in the left side fuse panel. The fuse is rated at 10 amps, and you can put a lesser amperage fuse in if you want to match the installation requirements for your application.
  9. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Thanks, I also saw on the GM upfitter site that there may be a bundle of wires both switched and unswitched leads under the center of the dash... if I can find that then I may have it made. I'll report back if I find it.
  10. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

PM me if you didnt figure it out yet, ill go look and see which number fuse I tapped into.
  11. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Thanks guys,
    Here's what I wound up doing... found this tip somewhere else, although I still want to check out if that bundle of wires is in the center of the dash... It was getting late and I didn't want to take apart the dash to find out.

Anyway, There's a box on the firewall, low on the left, sort of behind the parking brake, there's a number of connections there and I just found one that was ignition hot with the test light, they look to be for things like power seats and stuff, but there are some empty ones.
    I just put a female spade terminal on the red wire and pushed it on, not the best fit but it should stay.

It's a dark picture and it should be rotated 90 degrees, but here it is for reference.

12. damian

damian Senior Member

thats the spot we use,the black box to the left of the brake pedal,it there for optional eqip connections.