1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good old days

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by OCB, Jan 4, 2009.

1. OCB

OCB Junior Member

Taken in NW Illinois about 50 years ago.
    And that was the way it was.
    Oh yes that was a hand pump hydraulic system.

RD6 feb  1960.jpg

RD6 Late 1950 s.jpg

RD6 late 1950s.jpg
  2. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

things have come a long way haven't they???
  3. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

I can just barely remember seeing the town truck plowing when I was very young. Dump truck with a V plow, and a wing on each side. The V was hydraulic, the wings were operated by a man on the running board using a chain fall. Dad told me that they had four men in the truck, a driver, two wingmen, and one guy warming up on the passenger seat.. They would rotate positions as needed.

It was long gone before I was born, but the quarry next door had a Linn tractor. I was a half track that had wheels on front in the summer, and skis in the winter. They TOWED a huge V plow with that. I would guess they also carried a block of stone on the bed for traction. The driver stalled it in a drift one day, and had to crawl out the through the opening windshield, shovel down to the front of the engine, and crank start it.
  4. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

THESE are the good ol days . :dizzy: