1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

good motor

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chev4life, Jun 6, 2003.

1. chev4life

chev4life Junior Member

does anyone know a good motor to put in a truck for racing that easy to find and has alot of horsepower cuz thats what i want:D.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

There is no susbstitute for cubic inches.The bigger the better.

A big block will give you more overall output,but they can be more expensive to build,and may not be a direct bolt-in for your truck (without all the right stuff).GM makes some nice drop in crate motors well over 500 HP.If you looking for something cheap,try finding an older 454 out of a muscle car.

A small block is much easier,and cheaper to build,and will drop right in.350's are a dime a dozen.The bigger 400 is getting pretty rare and isn't all that great due to the siamezed cylinders.I'd build a 383,which is a 350 block,with a 400 crank.GM also has a lot of good small block crate motors.

3. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

I'm sorry I don't have more info, but isn't GM putting out a new crate motor in the 572 in3 range with about 600 HP?

My cousin mentioned this to me the other day, but my web search turned up nothing.

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Yes, GM is releasing the 572. From what I understand, 2 versions, one is street, and one is race (they may be out already). Here is a picture someone sent me.

~Chuck

gm572bigblock.jpg

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

The street,or pump gas version (9.6:2 CR),is 620 HP,and 650 TQ.

The race version,with 12:1 CR,is rated at 720 HP,and 685 TQ.

Based on the tall deck Gen VI bigblock,they are hand built,and limited production.Probably no more than 1000 units in the first model run.

I was hearing rumors of early spring availabilty,but nothing in the channels yet.

6. chev4life

chev4life Junior Member

wyldman u are the s*** i think ill go with the 383 i dea would a 400 crank out of a 78 trans am???

7. chev4life

chev4life Junior Member

yeha i forgot some stuff would the 383 with the 400 crank idea work in that 85 gmc 350

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

The 400 in the 78 trans am would be a Pontiac motor,and won't work,totally different motor.You need a small block Chevy 400 for the crank.Better off to buy a kit,with every thing you need,just bolt it together and go.

Do a Yahoo search on Chevy 383's,you find lots of good info and kits available.

9. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

10. chev4life

chev4life Junior Member

for this 383 could i find a 400 sb crank and rods and just put it right into 350 and change the gaskets and bearings??

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

You will need special bearings,as they are different from the 350 to the 400.You would also want to use a longer 6.0" con rod,as it gives better rod angles,and more torque.

Just buy the kit.I've seen them as low as $450.00 for a NEW cast crank,all bearings,pistons,reman 5.7 rods,basically everything you need.The kits come with custom crank,that has the 400 stroke,and the 350 main journal diameter,so it's a drop in with no adapter bearings

It's not much more than a rebuild kit with parts,etc.