1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good Morning America Plow advice?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NEUSWEDE, Jan 26, 2005.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

A friend of mine was saying this morning there was a segment on Good Morning America about plowing and which plow to buy. I guess they said the worst are V plows of any brand because the pivot point is weak and they are too large for resdential. Does anyone care to comment on this. I am thinking about a fisher V for my 04 f-350 but don't want to make the wrong choice. I will be doing commercial and resdential next year with it.
    thanks

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

if your head is stuck in your butt then they are right. otherwise, here in reality land a v plow will work for residential work. very soon some one will say a blizzard works the best for residential work. get what ever plow has the best support in your area.

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Iam not sure that they know too much about plowing/plows on good morning america, they are in NYC, they don't get much snow there so when they do, they have to talk about it. If you are doing commercial, the Fisher V is an excellent choice, i worked along side one all day monday and a little bit today. They are great and, while some say its useless, the V position has been very useful in this 34" storm. You can carry lots of snow in the scoop position as well. They are fine for most driveways as well.

4. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

When my friend told me I didn't really care, people on stupid shows I don't listen to. I like the v plow buecause I liked the Blizzard scooping action but after seeing some problems people have I was turned off and I liked the V function. I have every company around me up here in Maine, Fisher, Boss, Diamond, curtis and Western are all in a 10 mile radius. Blizzard dealer is 40miles north. So I have some good choices. I like Blizzard and I will probably go with the V.
    Thanks

5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Whoever the "authority" was on this doesn't have a clue. I can equate this to those shows on home and garden channels that the people are telling us what the best equipmentis to buy, and it ends up being some sortof big box special. Just another piece of useless information. I would LOVE tohave a conversation with whoever this person was and hear his justification as to why V plows are the worst. This probably comes from some nitwit sales type person that has necer even used one before. (Salespaople who run a line are a whole different topic. Theytalk without having a clue as to which way is up.)

6. jeffwoehrle

jeffwoehrle Member

Sounds like just one more thing that's untrue on ABC News.

They must have swiped the story from the New York Times...

7. Norman B

Norman B Junior Member

I have 2 boss v plows 1-8'-9' They are the best plows i ever used. The 9' is a perfect fit for your truck

8. Wild Lake

Wild Lake Junior Member

Could they have possibly meant a stationary V-plow. Those would definitely suck for doing small residentials?

9. truckplow

truckplow Junior Member

get a BOSS

10. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Get-Er-Done..... :eek: BOSS Plows

11. jcmjclem

jcmjclem Junior Member

Great comment JeffWoehrle it probably went over a lot of people's heads!

Always found news to be a tiny bit of information bent so many different ways!

Love NY Times comment!!

12. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I love that! It's soooo true. The only worse source of news than the Times is Dan Rather.
    I also agree with the guy who compared it to those home improvement, do-it-yourself shows. They get a couple of tanned up Venice Beach types with nice clean clothes and brand new tool belts on showing "how easy" it is to do virtually any remodeling or trade project in your own home like a pro. I'm a plumber so I sit and watch the plumbing segments laughing my a$$ off.
    Obviously, Good Morning America failed to check PlowSite for advice before they did their story, which is a pity. Diane Sawyer could get me to tell her anything . :p

13. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

What a CROCK !!!!!

Those idiots don't have a clue. They ride in cabs or limos! Somebody like you or me shovels their apt., condo.........
    Their BMW or Mercedes sits in the garage !

The ONLY plows you see in NYC are garbage trucks with straight blades on them !!!!!!!!

Except for the few of us out there...........Sheesh !

14. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Well, I'm sure this'll melt some snow but, it's my opinion.. I started plowing using a v-plow and a true Daniels back blade and I spent a lot of time with that Fishstick controller waiting on the plow to get to the right position... Once I switched to a straight blade with welded on ends and a backblade, I cut the time on a 6 hours parking lot down to 4.5 hours. With the V, I spent more time trying to determine where my right wing was compared to my left and whether I was moving snow or windrowing it off my right side.. Thank god for the backblade..

I run backup for a guy that has a 10' Boss with the wings that dance around on the ends, now that IS a nice blade..

For residential, I can't see the extra expense outlay for a V-Plow..

That's my opinion anyway..

15. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Don't melt it PLOW it. I have never used a V so I don't know much about it but the ones I have seen in action seem very slow when the operator is angling it. Some may be better than other but I do have a strong feeling that I would not judge what plow I bought by what a morning talk show had to say about it..

16. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

Here's your sign.....

I am in Maine as well and we have enough plow companies around to make things interesting, now if we only had the snow to go along with it...

-K

17. PamelaRose

PamelaRose Member

Maine ?

As in 9 months of winter and 3 months of Damn Poor Plow'n' ?

That Maine? :nod:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  18. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

I think you're referring to "wintah" (can't forget the "h" here in maine), and if so, it's true, cept in the other 3 months we plow too, gots to keep the black flies off th driveway somehow.

19. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I thought summer in Maine was a few weeks of bad sledding.

20. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Crazy Cooter where in Maine are you? I am in Portland

Also I see you have a "General Lee", did you happen to catch Rides on TLC last week where they did an Xtreme Lee for some countyr music star? It was pretty sweet.