1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good machines for snow removal on sidewalks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by OfCourseYouCan, Oct 8, 2008.

1. OfCourseYouCan

OfCourseYouCan Junior Member

Anyone have suggestions for good sidewalk clearing machines. I have good luck with Toro rubber paddle models. They handle a wide variety of snow types. I even cut through a 5 foot high plow berm at the end of a driveway once. Trouble is, we do a lot of properties with sidewalks that paralell the road, so we often need to move heavy packed icy snow, and that is a chore with a small snowblower. Ditto for low temperature slush. Two stage walk behinds often can't handle what the single stage rubber paddled blowers can't handle. I bought a Ventrac 21 hp full time 4wd, articulating tractor, with a 2 stage snowblower, a v-plow and a rotary broom three years ago. It has the power to go through 1/2 a foot to a foot of really heavy, day old snow. It might take more then one pass but it beats slamming into the walk behind all day.
    Maybe it's the operators, but the Ventrac needs frequent repairs:realmad:. Heck of a machine:gunsfiring:, when it's working. Anyone know of other similar machines?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  2. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

Idea 1. Take you kids & give them shovels!!!!:jester:

Idea 2. Get some Mexcivators (about 4 should do) go to Walmart get 4 shovels and a bottle of cheap tequila and put em' to work:jester::jester::jester:

3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

bobcat toolcat. spend the 40 g's and call it a day.

Just better have work rest of the year for it.

4. OfCourseYouCan

Already tried having the kids shovel, but they grew up went to college.

I got on Mexcivator...my nephew...kind of a whiner when it comes to snow shoveling. I need real foreigners:help:, real laborers, people who are happy to work. Must be the college town environment here. We do have farms and such, but the work ethic seems to be fading:realmad:...or am I just getting old :realmad:?

Cheap tequilla? For 3 am start time I'm gonna give em good tequilla :nod:

5. OfCourseYouCan

tool cat, eh? goggling it now..is that the utility vehicle? I guess I'll find out in a sec...

6. Krimick77

Krimick77 Member

I use a Bobcat 463 skidsteer with a 36" snowblower for my sidewalks. It will throw all types of snow and my guy sits in a heated cab! You can also get that with a 44" blower

7. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

agree with you Krimick,the 463 works well for us..as for the snow blower part, we prefer to use the bucket due to cars parked along side. "OFCOURSEYOUCAN" You may want to consider ATV

8. Eddie D

Eddie D Member

Go with the 463 Bobcat. You can even get the skinny tires so its only 36"wide.

9. salopez

salopez Senior Member

we do utilize a 463 as well, and they are great.

They just cant spread ice melt or sand as well as the toolcat, and the travel speed is...slow.

but they have their place!

10. bakerc8

bakerc8 Senior Member

well what kind of sidewalks do you have to do

11. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Ever think of a trackless unit? alot of the towns/cities around here use them to plow and salt the sidewalks and could probably find one used fairly cheap.