1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Good idea plowing with Half ton truck?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by NaturesEnemy1, May 28, 2009.

1. NaturesEnemy1

NaturesEnemy1 Junior Member
    from Ohio

I own a lawn care company and i use a 2005 GMC Sierra Z71 to pull my trialer and equipment. This is my everyday vehicle as well. I don't plan on making a living off of snow plowing in the winter time, but my customers continue to ask me if I will be plowing in the winter time. I understand that half ton trucks really aren't built for plowing, i imagine that it reduces the life of the truck. But in this part of Ohio we get a heavy snow two or three times a month. Do the pro's out weight the con's of putting a plow on my half ton truck? Can these half ton trucks with-stand the riggors of snow plowing?
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

This has been discussed many times. You can do some searching, or just scroll through the forums. Dozens, thousands, even hundreds, plow with half tons and have no ill effects. Others won't plow with anything less than a one ton diesel.

If you're doing a few drives, then you are probably OK. Heavier/commercial and I would be looking for a 3/4 ton myself. If you are going to run a bed sander, a half ton isn't going to cut it.
  3. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

The 1/2 ton will do just fine I have used one for manny years!
  4. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

I have a '92 half-ton GMC with a 7.5 Meyer setup. I do my driveway, along with my brother's and 3~4 friends. When we get a really big dump, I actuall plow the street before the city plow comes along (they are very slow getting here). It works great, but I really take it easy when I plow.
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check the snoway forum there sre some pics of that truck with a 26 series on it.
  6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd agree on searching. We don't mean to sound like @sshole's who don't want to help out a new member of the board, but it does get annoying retyping the same info 8x a year.

I also plow with a half ton, works good and takes a lot of abuse. Before next winter though I'll be rolling in a newer diesel. Probably will still plow with my 1/2ton though until it no longer moves or the body rusts off. Save the abuse from the newer truck unless it's needed as a backup.
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would bet 1/2 the plow trucks I have ever seen are 1/2 ton Chevy's. As long as you don't go real heavy or wide on plows you should be OK. Or you don't try to haul 2 pallets of salt while plowing.
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Are you getting ready to try a Chevy?
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you have a CC consider Blizzard, they offer a 8 foot blade in a mid weight. everyone else is limited to a 7'6" You need at least 8 foot of blade for a Crew Cab to be efficient
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Nah, latest FORD plow truck candidate is sitting in the driveway. The old one too.
    A brother in-law has had a Chevy and now a GMC 1/2 tons for plow trucks. They have their own unique problems at times. But also some of the same ones FORD has.
  11. tuna

tuna Senior Member

What does the cab have to do with blade width?
  12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Well Flounder, it's a wheelbase issue. longer wheelbase, slower turning ratio. TOGA TOGA TOGA:D
  13. tuna

tuna Senior Member

A half ton Chevy crew cab has short wheelbase,does not need anything bigger than a 7,6.
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Ex cab short bed has a longer wheelbase than a reg long bed. Crew cab is even longer. Long bed and you keep adding. There's a few crew cab long beds with plows around here. The difference in a 7.5 vs 8 is not that much, only 3 inches per side. Even if I run my 8.5 XV in a dogleg, I still can run over my windrow.
  15. tuna

tuna Senior Member

A half ton crew is only built with 1 bed length 5'8" so we are not talking about a long truck here.I don`t know the exact wheelbase for each model But I do own a 2005 Sierra 1500 crew cab and can tell you that it is not much longer if any than a reg cab long bed or an Ext. cab short bed.Either way there is no 1/2 ton that needs an 8 footer to get the job done which is the point of this thread.

Jeep rally 014.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  16. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I have a dodge half ton regular cab short box...worked great the past 5 or 6 years...even plowed 2 or 3 storms with a 9 ft!..excellent driveway truck however you do feel underpowered sometimes. I run a 7 1/2ft blade and going around turns or when angled you get a lot of snow under yourself and will get stuck. Running an 8ft would be wise.
  17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Or at least have to go back and deal with the snow you've run over and packed down.
  18. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

Well, i plow with a 1500 tahoe?...my friend has been plowing commercial now with his seirra 1500 for a few years..go easy and it'll do fine.
  19. larold83

larold83 Senior Member

i have a 85 heavy half ton camper special its just go the extra leaf up front and rear but this has beena plow truck sinse its been new. third motor they finally got smart and stuck the 350 in her this is a solid truck there are signs of being a plow truck for this many years but nothing a welder can't fix
  20. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

I used to use mine plowing. I have an 2003 Chevy 1500 Z71 and had a 7 1/2 foot boss. I took it off because I wanted to Keep my truck nice. After the first year plowing my brake pads and routers were gone and the ty Rods were completly shot. Not a big deal but that is just to give you an idea of what happens to the 1/2 tons.